Re: Charlie Moore

Yep...moving there next week. But not to the Whacko area.

Just call me Colonel Nathan R. Jessep...because I speak the truth and you yokels can't handle the truth.

John Calipari's USA team beat by the Canadian.  Maybe a 'no-name' coach would have had better luck. Kansas target 2019 or more likely 2018, R.J. Barrett  led the way.

User Number 001 - A Double Naught Poster
        Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy  Least Favorite Poster

Oh shit, another anti-Cal post!!!

Was it in the group stage?

edit : nvm this was for a medal...

Last edited by SevenDeadlies (Jul 09 2017 7:28 am)

Ouch! 1st loss in years. Guess it was bound to happen eventually. And couldn't have happened to a nicer guy (sarcasm alert)...

After our last debate about this I did a little digging and did discover that Cal doesn't have some emperial power to pick any kid he wants for the team. They were even discussing it during a summer league last night that it's a handful of coaches who pick the teams, and not just the current coaching staff. Jerry Collangelo designed it that way to ensure fair evaluation when picking teams. Jim Boheim is 1 of the people who is in charge of constructing the rosters for each of the college and under team USA's.

Now that doesn't neutralize the recruiting advantage of getting to actually coach the kids. But does neutralize the potential conflict of interest in constructing the rosters, which should make some people feel at least a little bit better.

The other thing mentioned during the summer league game is that Jerry Collangelo is extremely pleased with this method and how it's been working (granted that statement was before Cal's team lost)...so it's unlikely to change anytime soon. Hopefully Self is on deck to coach if he wants to.

Last edited by Illinoisjayhawk (Jul 09 2017 7:45 am)

So much for the mutual benefits tho

Illinoisjayhawk wrote:

After our last debate about this I did a little digging and did discover that Cal doesn't have some emperial power to pick any kid he wants for the team. They were even discussing it during a summer league last night that it's a handful of coaches who pick the teams, and not just the current coaching staff. Jerry Collangelo designed it that way to ensure fair evaluation when picking teams. Jim Boheim is 1 of the people who is in charge of constructing the rosters for each of the college and under team USA's.

Were they talking about who's invited to camps?  Or who makes the final roster?  I don't think anyone was claiming Cal got to pick the 25 or so players to come in for tryouts.

Last edited by NDballer13 (Jul 10 2017 8:15 am)

(1) #283

Calipari blows it again with better talent.

NDballer13 wrote:
Illinoisjayhawk wrote:

Were they talking about who's invited to camps?  Or who makes the final roster?  I don't think anyone was claiming Cal got to pick the 25 or so players to come in for tryouts.

It sounded like both, but I was speaking about the final roster. The current coach has a say, as do the assistants with player evaluation/selection, but the final roster isn't left up to just the head coach. They really made it sound like Boheim has a lot of the responsibility of roster construction. After hearing them discuss it for a minute or so I came away feeling like Cal does not have the supreme power to manipulate the roster construction to unethically favor him. Which could be a big reason a guy like Bol Bol was cut even though that can't help his recruitment by Cal....because I can't imagine Cal would cut someone he's going after that hard if he thought it'd hurt him in other areas.

Smart people are in charge of this stuff, and I'm sure they have similar concerns that the rest of us do when it comes to using this team in an unethical manner. And they're certainly not subservient to a guy like Calipari... in fact I bet a lot of them hate Cal like the majority of people who are familiar with him.

Last edited by Illinoisjayhawk (Jul 10 2017 8:28 am)

pwhittemore wrote:

Calipari blows

You got no fear of the underdog,
That's why you will not survive!

*Voted Greatest Poster on kusports.net - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Anyone know if Illy is a sports writer?

https://sports.yahoo.com/john-calipari- … 24605.html

“I don’t really see Malik as a point guard,” Self said while talking to PG recruits

CascadiaHawk wrote:

Anyone know if Illy is a sports writer?

https://sports.yahoo.com/john-calipari- … 24605.html

LOL can you imagine? I'd be a terrible sports writer.

I think people should blame whoever they want. Truth is most people don't care. It's good if Cal gets the blame. The players probably deserve the blame too.

I don't solely blame Self when we lose. I can't think of a single game where I could pin point an exact moment where he cost us a game, but nonetheless people meltdown and blame Self whenever we lose in the tournament. I'm not saying I agree with it, but its fair game...granted I didn't watch a single minute of team U19 USA, so I have no idea if Cal individually cost them the game somehow, but they lost so he is fair game for the blame game.

Last edited by Illinoisjayhawk (Jul 10 2017 9:10 am)

illy wouldn't write "...doing less with more..." while talking about Cal.

Hall of Fame Contributor

lonestarjayhawk wrote:

Let's not start the week off by turning the thread into a bitch fest already (again). There's really no reason for you to make dumb comments like that, especially because you're not even funny when you do it. Don't be part of the problem. Let's try to make this place enjoyable for everyone, we had multiple complaints about it last week and it's not even 10am and you couldn't resist going off topic and to the personal attacks.

If I deserve it, talk shit. I'm not trying to change the nature of message boards. But to just start in after anything/everything I say is annoying to everyone.

Last edited by Illinoisjayhawk (Jul 10 2017 9:16 am)

Illinoisjayhawk wrote:
lonestarjayhawk wrote:

Let's not start the week off by turning the thread into a bitch fest already (again). There's really no reason for you to make dumb comments like that, especially because you're not even funny when you do it. Don't be part of the problem. Let's try to make this place enjoyable for everyone, we had multiple complaints about it last week and it's not even 10am and you couldn't resist going off topic and to the personal attacks.

If I deserve it, talk shit. I'm not trying to change the nature of message boards. But to just start in after anything/everything I say is annoying to everyone.

hook, line, and sinker

"Scientific literacy is an intellectual vaccine against the claims of charlatans who would exploit ignorance"

twocoach wrote:
NDballer13 wrote:

I wasn't trying to imply Charlie deserved to be on the team more than those 4 high schoolers, just pointing out it was interesting.  Given the history of how Jay Wright used the U19 team, and how Cal even went to coach the Dominican National Team because Towns was on it.  I just wish USA basketball would field coaches that could build a national program and not jump year to year from coach to coach who's main goal is to improve their college team.

Eh, the U19 team has gone undefeated in each of the last two U19 World Cups. The last time they didn't have an elite head coach was 2011, when Paul Hewitt's team finished a dismal 5th in the 2011 World Cup despite a solid roster:

http://latvia2011.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe … ofile.html

USA Basketball recognized that they needed better coaching for their U19 team so they hired Billy Donovan in '13, Sean Miller in '15 and now Cal in '17 to coach the U19 team and they haven't lost a game since. USA Basketball seems to be getting exactly the results they hoped for by upgrading the caliber of coach they hire to run the U19 team. I doubt that you will find a coach good enough to achieve the goal of winning this tourney who would commit to doing this in their offseason every two years so you inevitably are going to have a different coach every time.

This is only a big deal because people like to whine about Calipari. If Self was coaching the team we'd be posting event schedules and TV times.

Are we ready to walk this back now and admit that the single tournament under Paul Hewitt was far to small a sample size to determine that the HC of the U19 team has to be a big name and that the success of Donovan and Miller might not mean that EVERY high profile coach (i.e. John Calipari) is going to have success coaching in this format?

You got no fear of the underdog,
That's why you will not survive!

*Voted Greatest Poster on kusports.net - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

CascadiaHawk wrote:

The moore I think about it, I'm ok with Charlie getting cut.  This way Cal can underperform with better talent like he always does.

yikes

So about our guy Moore, how is his defense?

SevenDeadlies wrote:
CascadiaHawk wrote:

The moore I think about it, I'm ok with Charlie getting cut.  This way Cal can underperform with better talent like he always does.

yikes

So about our guy Moore, how is his defense?

Cal said he sucked...

Hall of Fame Contributor

#obsessed

KUSportsDotNet is not affiliated with the University of Kansas or Kansas Athletics
Views expressed are not endorsed by KU or KUAD
Copyright ©2016 | Stats | @KUSportsDotNet