Know Your Foe - Iowa State 'Clones

Kansas coach draws inspiration from Iowa State's football upset of Oklahoma

11 a.m. Saturday at Jack Trice Stadium

http://www.cyclones.com/gameday/footbal … otball/38/

AMES, Ia. — When Iowa State stunned the nation by knocking off then-No. 3 Oklahoma last Saturday, it was further proof that most any college football team could beat most any other team on a given weekend.

Ironically, it’s a message Kansas coach David Beaty said he can use to motivate his Jayhawks as they try to turn the tables on the Cyclones at 11 a.m. Saturday at Jack Trice Stadium.
24g63c4.jpg

“Absolutely,” Beaty said. “I think there is a lot more parity in college football maybe than there has been over the last 10, 15 years. And the thing about it is, it’s still going to come down to who executes the best. Who executes at the highest level, the best for the longest?”

The Cyclones were the story of the college football world after knocking off the previously undefeated Sooners. Come this Saturday, it'll be an entirely different story.

This time around, Iowa State is nearly a three-touchdown favorite against a Kansas team that has again struggled to a 1-4 mark and winless 0-4 start to Big 12 Conference play.

But if Iowa State has shown anything, it’s that weird things can happen in college football. Iowa State had suffered 18 straight losses to Oklahoma and hadn’t won in Norman since 1990. Kansas’ series with Iowa State isn’t as lopsided, but the Cyclones have controlled the matchup lately.

Iowa State has won six of the past seven contests and four straight in Ames. And if anyone has struggled to turn around a program more than Iowa State, it’s Kansas.

Now in his third season, Beaty has gone just 3-26 during his tenure with the Jayhawks. But, like the Cyclones, he’s confident he’s got the pieces in place to hopefully get things going soon.

“We’ve got the right guys on our team,” Beaty said. “They care. And they know that the job that we have playing in this conference, it’s never an easy one, but it’s one that’s worth it. And I think the thing that I think about most of the time when we talk to our guys, is that ‘Listen, on Monday morning, half the teams in the country are going to be feeling the exact same way.’ So keeping a little bit of perspective is very, very important for us.”

MORE CYCLONES:

Kempt sill the starter, Park still inactive
Kempt and Lanning win weekly Big 12 awards
Inside one of the most unforgettable weeks in Iowa State football history
The two programs appear to be headed in separate directions. Kansas is reportedly in the midst of a quarterback competition between Peyton Bender and Carter Stanley. But quarterback questions comprise just part of the Jayhawks' problems.

Kansas has struggled in nearly every facet of the game. The Jayhawks rank ninth in the 10-team league in scoring offense (29.6 points per game), last in scoring defense (44.8) and seventh in total offense (458.0 yards per game).

Although this matchup may appear lopsided, Iowa State coach Matt Campbell said his team is still focused and didn’t anticipate a letdown.

“I don’t think you’ve ever seen us not play hard,” Campbell said. “You’ve never seen us, this group of kids, not play with great attitude and effort. The only way you do that is you have to practice that way. I think our kids are finally learning that, understanding that.”

Beaty has taken notice.

“Their offense is very unique in regard to how they formation people and motion you,” he said. “And that’s a challenge. That’s why a lot of us do that throughout the league, and Matt and his staff do a terrific job of doing that.”

Iowa State wide receiver Allen Lazard and running back David Montgomery have also impressed him.

“Allen Lazard, I think, is... is one of the best players in the conference. Then they’ve got other receivers that are really talented."

Joel Lanning bringing back ironman football for Iowa State
ESPN
NORMAN, Okla. -- Joel Lanning entered the visitor’s interview room in the bowels of Oklahoma Memorial Stadium harkening back to a player from another era. Grass stains covered the shoulders of his white jersey. The tape around his wrists, in tatters.

Only the leather helmet seemed to be missing.

Unleashing a modern version of ironman football, Lanning delivered one of the most memorable performances of the season over the weekend, manning both sides of the ball in Iowa State's stunning 38-31 victory over the then third-ranked Sooners.

All told, Lanning played 78 snaps, including 57 on defense, 13 on offense and eight on special teams. He finished with 25 yards passing, 35 yards rushing, eight tackles, a sack and a critical fumble recovery, the latter stifling an Oklahoma scoring opportunity while keying Iowa State’s second-half comeback.

“I do mean this, I think he’s one of the absolute best stories in college football, and hopefully people start to find out after what happened,” said Cyclones coach Matt Campbell, who noted that he hoped his two sons grow up to play the game like Lanning. “There are a lot of good players in college football, but I don’t know if there’s someone that does more for their team.

“I think he’s absolutely incredible.”

Joel Lanning threw for 25 yards, ran for 35 and had eight tackles and sack against Oklahoma.
Lanning was nothing less for the Cyclones, who defeated Oklahoma for just the sixth time in 82 meetings and for the first time in Norman since 1990.

As Iowa State fell behind 14-0 early in what seemed to be shaping up as another Sooners route, Lanning began to make his presence felt. In his first appearance at quarterback, he helped drive the Cyclones down for a field goal, highlighted by a nine-yard carry on fourth down in Oklahoma territory.

Later in the second quarter, after tossing a third-down screen to running back David Montgomery, Lanning hurled a key block that allowed Montgomery to reverse field and dash away 24 yards, setting up Iowa State’s first touchdown.

“I hadn’t thrown it in a while,” Lanning said. “I just kind of was asked to run the ball down the field and get the ball to the playmakers. … That’s what I did.”

Yet, as he sparked the offense, Lanning also produced one of the biggest plays of the game on defense.

The Sooners were about to go up by two touchdowns again in the second half when Baker Mayfield and Trey Sermon fumbled a handoff at the Iowa State 5-yard line. Lanning instantly located the ball and pounced on it before Sermon could.

The Cyclones responded by driving 94 yards to tie the score with a touchdown and two-point conversion late in the third quarter. That proved to be a turning point, as Iowa State controlled the game the rest of the way.

“Just did my part,” said Lanning, overwhelmingly underselling his contribution to the upset.

Going into last season, the run-first Lanning opened as the Cyclones' starting quarterback on the heels of a strong finish the year before. But as Campbell sought to implement more of a passing threat in his first season in Ames, Jacob Park eventually overtook Lanning for the starting job.

Lanning, however, didn’t want to leave Iowa State. And Campbell wanted to find a way to keep him on the field.

“When you’re the starting quarterback and you lose your job, 90 percent of those guys transfer somewhere else,” Campbell said. “He’s a pretty special kid. He’s Iowa State through and through.”

During the offseason, the Cyclones auditioned the 6-foot-2, 230-pound former all-state wrestler at middle linebacker. Quickly, the experiment turned into a smashing success. Lanning intercepted Park for a pick-six in the spring game. And through the first month of the season, he rapidly developed into one of the top linebackers in the Big 12, now ranking second in the league in tackles.

But last week, Park took a leave of absence from the team due to an undisclosed personal medical issue. That left Iowa State with an unexpected quandary at quarterback.

Tuesday, Campbell decided to start walk-on senior transfer Kyle Kempt. But later in the week, the Cyclones called Lanning over to the offense as a quarterback reinforcement.

“He didn’t get any reps (at quarterback) this week. We were kind of drawing up plays in the dirt for him on Thursday and Friday, but I’m glad we did,” Campbell said. “It was a dicey decision because he’s playing linebacker and you don’t want to take him away from the defensive side of the ball where you know he’s needed.”

Turned out, Lanning was needed everywhere. And as a result, he was all over the field.

“They told me to hydrate all week, and I felt fine while I was out there,” Lanning said. “Never got too exhausted.”

Jim Thorpe, Red Grange and Chuck Bednarik would've been proud.

“What he’s doing is unheard of,” Campbell said. “The Cyclone Nation will remember Joel Lanning for a long, long time.”

Iowa State vs. Kansas - 10/14/17 College Football Pick, Odds, and Prediction

Kansas Jayhawks (1-4) at Iowa State Cyclones (3-2)
College Football: Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 12:00 pm (Jack Trice Stadium)
The Line: Iowa State Cyclones -20.5 -- Over/Under: See the Latest Odds
TV: FOX Sports
The Kansas Jayhawks and Iowa State Cyclones meet Saturday in college football action at Jack Trice Stadium.
The Kansas Jayhawks could use their first road win of the season to snap a four-game losing streak. The Kansas Jayhawks haven’t won a road game since September of 2009. Peyton Bender is completing 56.4 percent of his passes for 1,373 yards, eight touchdowns and eight interceptions. Bender has thrown at least one interception in seven straight games. Steven Sims Jr. and Ben Johnson have combined for 650 receiving yards and four touchdowns while Jeremiah Booker has 16 receptions. The Kansas Jayhawks ground game is averaging 161.4 yards per contest, and Khalil Herbert leads the way with 503 yards and four touchdowns. Defensively, Kansas is allowing 44.8 points and 506.2 yards per game. Joe Dineen Jr. leads the Kansas Jayhawks with 61 tackles, Daniel Wise has two sacks and Mike Lee has two interceptions.

Iowa State vs. Kansas - 10/14/17 College Football Pick, Odds, and Prediction
USA TODAY Sports

The Iowa State Cyclones look to win back-to-back games for the first time while building on their win over Oklahoma. The Iowa State Cyclones have lost six of their last eight home games. Kyle Kempt is completing 75 percent of his passes for 343 yards, three touchdowns and zero interceptions. Kempt will enter this game with 26 career pass attempts under his belt. Hakeem Butler and Allen Lazard have combined for 660 receiving yards and seven touchdowns while Trever Ryen has 20 receptions. The Iowa State Cyclones ground game is averaging 107.2 yards per contest, and David Montgomery leads the way with 410 yards and five touchdowns. Defensively, Iowa State is allowing 26 points and 406.2 yards per game. Joel Lanning leads the Iowa State Cyclones with 54 tackles, JaQuan Bailey has three sacks and Kamari Cotton-Moya has two interceptions.
The Jayhawks are 11-31-1 ATS in their last 43 road games, 6-14 ATS vs. a team with a winning record and 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games overall. The Cyclones are 7-2 ATS in their last 9 home games, 6-1 ATS in their last 7 games in October and 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games overall. The Jayhawks are 3-8 ATS in their last 11 meetings in Iowa State, the home team is 4-0 ATS in their last 4 meetings and the under is 5-2 in the last 7 meetings.
If there was ever a letdown spot, this would be it, as Iowa State is coming off one of the biggest ML upsets in the history of the sport last week with its victory over Oklahoma. The Cyclones also have a good road game next week against Texas Tech, so there's some lookahead here as well. However, Kansas has been getting blasted defensively over the last month, which includes allowing 65 points and 603 yards last week against the Red Raiders. There's also the fact Kansas is the worst college football team on the road over the last decade and that road spread record during the process isn't any sexier. I'll take Iowa State in a beatdown even with this being a trap game.

RANDY'S PICK
Iowa State Cyclones -20.5

Last edited by tophawk87 (Oct 11 2017 9:37 am)

Wise men still seek Him

Re: Know Your Foe - Iowa State 'Clones

This one could hurt and aptly show the differences between the directions of our football programs.

Could be a letdown game for ISU?

You got no fear of the underdog,
That's why you will not survive!

*Voted Greatest Poster on kusports.net - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

It would be as stunning an upset as ISU had last weekend.

Any positive thoughts or feelings I had about this year have completely dissolved. I fully expect us to get blown out.

Holidaysmore - 2005

Oct 11 2017 5:08 pm
sdoyel offline

Last road win was when? 2009?

#FOE #KUCMB #KUboobs
“We just say ‘let your nuts hang’....” -Darnell Jackson
"Who in the hell would want to work with Greg Gurley on a regular basis?" -Bill Self

As shitty as we are, it IS doable, especially against the 'Clowns. I deal with their fans daily (live in Des Moines only 30 miles away from Ames), and even their people admit that ISU has a tendency to lay eggs against weaker teams such as ours. None of them are willing to accept that the Vegas line of 21 points is correct. They all think it will be much closer than that.

Football = something Kansas fans endure until real sports season starts in November
Oh, and Muck Fizzou

sdoyel wrote:

Last road win was when? 2009?

2009. UTEP. 34-7.

That is a frightening and embarrassing stat.

Holidaysmore - 2005

KUSportsDotNet is not affiliated with the University of Kansas or Kansas Athletics
Views expressed are not endorsed by KU or KUAD
Copyright ©2016 | Stats | @KUSportsDotNet