If Mark Zuckerberg wants forgiveness, he's going to need to come clean

Much of what we know about Russian exploitation of Facebook has come from third parties rather than Facebook itself. That has to change.

"...Facebook did not set out to increase political polarization and empower bad actors to undermine democracy, but this outcome was inevitable. It was the result of countless Facebook decisions, all made in pursuit of greater profits. In order to maximize its share of human attention, Facebook employed techniques designed to create an addiction to its platform. It deploys digital trackers to monitor and monetize the digital lives of its users. As a result, Facebook has emerged as one of the most profitable companies in our economy.

Facebook has created bubbles around users that contrary ideas — and even facts — cannot penetrate, empowering groups of like-minded people to share emotionally charged ideas on a platform that is vulnerable to exploitation by bad actors.

...The harm goes way beyond the Russians and the election, and it is ongoing. Significantly, Facebook takes the position that its only policing obligation is to support community standards on issues such as displays of nudity. As a result, it was not even looking for, much less working to prevent, interference in our elections. In retrospect, Facebook’s architecture and the lack of surveillance invited malicious interference in the 2016 election. For a trivial sum, the Russians were able to wreak havoc. A congressional committee is investigating to what extent they exploited other platforms —  4chan, Reddit, Twitter and Google  — but so far it appears Facebook was the one that did the most damage..."

[...]

Roger McNamee is an American businessman, investor, venture capitalist and musician. He is the founding partner of the venture capital firm Elevation Partners. Prior to co-founding the firm, McNamee co-founded private equity firm Silver Lake Partners and headed the T. Rowe Price Science and Technology Fund.

McNamee is also a touring musician, first as a founding member of the Flying Other Brothers, and more recently in that group's follow-on band, Moonalice. Between the two groups, McNamee estimated in April 2009 that he has played 800 shows.,[4] in an April 13, 2009 article from the San Francisco Chronicle.

...McNamee is the co-writer of the Moonalice song "It's 4:20 Somewhere".[11] In August 2012 the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced that the digital logs for "It’s 4:20 Somewhere" had been acquired for its library and archives, describing the Moonalice logs as helping to "...tell the story of music’s digital revolution; specifically the rise of direct-from-artist (DFA) distribution. Moonalice is the first band without a label to achieve one million downloads of a song from its own servers, direct-from-artist. “It’s 4:20 Somewhere” has been downloaded over 4.6 million times"

[...]

“The best way I can describe it is, having a diaper on and never changing it.  And just sitting in that diaper the whole year.”
N.Y. Jet, Brandon Marshall. Speaking of last season’s disastrous 5 -11 record

Re: If Mark Zuckerberg wants forgiveness, he's going to need to come clean

Zuck sucks!

Said it before and I'll say it again: dude is going down in history as one of our generation's biggest pieces of shit.

But not sure what that second link has to do with anything?

I don't understand why it's not common knowledge that Mark Zuckerberg is one of the biggest pieces of shit in the history of time.  He rivals Donald Trump in my opinion

Last edited by CascadiaHawk (Oct 11 2017 9:36 pm)

“I don’t really see Malik as a point guard,” Self said while talking to PG recruits

ousdahl wrote:

Zuck sucks!

Said it before and I'll say it again: dude is going down in history as one of our generation's biggest pieces of shit.

But not sure what that second link has to do with anything?

The second link was to establish the author of the USA Today opinion piece's bona fides.

“The best way I can describe it is, having a diaper on and never changing it.  And just sitting in that diaper the whole year.”
N.Y. Jet, Brandon Marshall. Speaking of last season’s disastrous 5 -11 record

I guess I give Zuck some credit for all the networking potential Facebook has created, I guess, but I dunno how much of it is creditable specifically to him or anything he's done.

I mean, Craigslist has massive networking potential as well, but you don't see Craig hoarding our personal info to sell to marketers so he can buy himself a mega estate in Hawaii. You don't see Craig harboring echo chambers of misinformation cuz its profitable for him. You don't see Craig bombing us with useless spam about the top 20 spookiest places on earth, number 9 is so scary, OMG!

What's number 8!?

DC's basement.

I've also wondered how long my account would last on Facebook if I used the platform to rip on Zuck.

Howsabout some click bait like "top 10 reasons why zuckerberg sucks. Number 7 will make you unfriend him right now!"

I mean, it would be a paid promotion, and revenue is revenue. Right, Mark?

KUSportsDotNet is not affiliated with the University of Kansas or Kansas Athletics
Views expressed are not endorsed by KU or KUAD
Copyright ©2016 | Stats | @KUSportsDotNet