Re: U.S Announces Crackdown on Kickbacks in College Basketball

jfish26 wrote:
pwhittemore wrote:

It is why some people are in trouble with the FBI/NCAA.
But it is against the rules.
When people are cheating at poker at your table do you just go, well, that's how it is, nothing we can do about it.

What is it about an email address that ends in .edu that turns people into such stooges?

The Rules are an entirely artificial construct devised by, and for the benefit of, athletics administrators, coaches and others who, whether they can articulate it or not, really, really like exploiting players.  That The Rules are being enforced as law by our government - using your tax dollars and mine - is, frankly, outrageous. 

On this issue, you're sounding like the guy at the poker table who can't spot the sucker.

The NCAA needs reformation, that we can agree on.
But i'd push to get this kind of $$ and corruption out of college basketball rather than saying, 'well, we just can't stop it, time to pay players.'
And saying 'well, we just can't stop it, time to pay players' actually won't stop it at all.

Vega wrote:

JFish Pwhitt .net rivalry?

No way.
JFish is in my top 3 posters.

1. Ardvark
2. PhD
3. JFish

Oct 12 2017 1:02 pm
Vega offline

Fuck, I can't even make top 3? I need to rail on Illy more.

At least we're not Tiggerboards?

pwhittemore wrote:
jfish26 wrote:
pwhittemore wrote:

It is why some people are in trouble with the FBI/NCAA.
But it is against the rules.
When people are cheating at poker at your table do you just go, well, that's how it is, nothing we can do about it.

What is it about an email address that ends in .edu that turns people into such stooges?

The Rules are an entirely artificial construct devised by, and for the benefit of, athletics administrators, coaches and others who, whether they can articulate it or not, really, really like exploiting players.  That The Rules are being enforced as law by our government - using your tax dollars and mine - is, frankly, outrageous. 

On this issue, you're sounding like the guy at the poker table who can't spot the sucker.

The NCAA needs reformation, that we can agree on.
But i'd push to get this kind of $$ and corruption out of college basketball rather than saying, 'well, we just can't stop it, time to pay players.'
And saying 'well, we just can't stop it, time to pay players' actually won't stop it at all.

Of course you're not going to stop bad behavior.  But you can push it to the margins by removing incentives to engage in it. 

Thought exercise - if, tomorrow, KU announced that it was fed up with corruption and being the dog wagged by its own tail, and that it was going to drop to D-III and have a D-III budget...where are you at?

"Walking on the beach this morning, doing a little thinking when I saw footprints in the sand.  Reminded me of the poem Footprints in the Sand."  John Vincent Calipari, 8/14/14

I'm still watchin! ( i'd have to figure out how )
But i'll miss the NCAA tourney.

Hell, that'd be great if KU football did that.
More ( maybe ) wins!

(1) #582

pwhittemore wrote:

There is a Div. III tourney.

We'd still probably loose to Whitman or Endicott in the Elite 8.

You got no fear of the underdog,
That's why you will not survive!

*Voted Greatest Poster on kusports.net - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

PhDhawk wrote:
pwhittemore wrote:

Coach Self would be justifiably pilloried.

His father, from the Spurs bench, would offer a spirited defense.

"Walking on the beach this morning, doing a little thinking when I saw footprints in the sand.  Reminded me of the poem Footprints in the Sand."  John Vincent Calipari, 8/14/14

At least I could afford the chairbacks.

"...in my opinion, the most prestigious chair in all of college basketball." -Bill Self

PhDhawk wrote:
pwhittemore wrote:

Endicott is sneaky good this year.

pwhittemore wrote:
PhDhawk wrote:
pwhittemore wrote:

Endicott is sneaky good this year.

Parity.

Defense. Rebounds.

pwhittemore wrote:
Vega wrote:

JFish Pwhitt .net rivalry?

No way.
JFish is in my top 3 posters.

1. Ardvark
2. PhD
3. JFish

Only because you unfairly booted Glugger to the curb.

User Number 001 - A Double Naught Poster
        Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy  Least Favorite Poster

jfish26 wrote:
pwhittemore wrote:

'exploitive' is just simply not a word I can agree on with you either.

But this is my point - the only way this isn't exploitation is if what the players get in exchange for their labor and talent is fair.  This is simply a matter of fact; no agreement is necessary.  It's the definition of "fair" that we're fighting over.

What they're getting obviously isn't objectively fair; just the portion of the black market that has been revealed in the last three weeks is enough evidence to conclude that the players aren't getting, under The Rules, what is objectively fair.

So, the only way this isn't exploitation, then, is if what they're getting is subjectively fair.

So you can't agree that the system is exploitative, because, to you, the system is subjectively fair.

In other words, the system is fair because you say so.  Your judgment of what is or is not fair is what should carry the day.

interesting philosophical discussion with some actual depth.  i'd like to ask, who decides what is fair?

also, would you rather have no rules or no enforcement?

Stop waving our wheat!

ohgodno.

Coach Cal getting nervous too?

"The majority of Kansas fans don't give a flip about playing Missouri." -  William Self

Haha classic Cal.

Sounds about like the same thing we're saying at this point too fwiw. Haven't been contacted, nothing to comment.

And yes, of course he is nervous.

Last edited by Illinoisjayhawk (Oct 12 2017 3:37 pm)

Doesn't that video have Cal saying Kentucky hasn't been contacted by the NCAA?

Oct 12 2017 3:48 pm
Vega offline

jfish26 wrote:

Doesn't that video have Cal saying Kentucky hasn't been contacted by the NCAA?

We should check the middling sports writers' Twitter page at the school paper for the truth.

At least we're not Tiggerboards?

I like Cal's answer. Maybe he knows something. Maybe he doesn't. Why should he say anything?

The only thing that matters is what the FBI knows, and what the FBI decides to do about it.

Last edited by RonKelloggFan (Oct 12 2017 4:38 pm)

I think Self, and Roy, and Izzo, and Self...all of 'em...know of SOME dirt in their program. I think they mostly assume it's harmless dirt. But no doubt they all are sweating at least a little. They don't know what the FBI's being told or what they may have uncovered from situations that head coaches may have known nothing about.

Last edited by RonKelloggFan (Oct 12 2017 4:40 pm)

BREAKING: reports suggest that FBI will soon verbally commit to the Jayhawks based on response to FOIA request.

FBI tried to keep a tight lip, but we should see some CB movement shortly..

Last edited by Wifflehead (Oct 12 2017 5:27 pm)

"AIN'T NO SEATS!" - Sherron Collins

FBI hip height?

So, now that the UNC non-findings have clarified that the NCAA doesn't exist to ensure these student-athletes are actually getting an education, can we please just acknowledge that it is nothing more than a synthetic governing body designed to legitimize a cartel that exists solely to keep all of the money in college sports away from players?

And into the schools’ pockets.

Such a warm and fuzzy game.

"...in my opinion, the most prestigious chair in all of college basketball." -Bill Self

CrimsonNBlue wrote:

And into the schools’ pockets.

Such a warm and fuzzy game.

But not even that!  The money is going to coaches and administrators.  This isn't buying new lab equipment or paying for additional lecturers. 

Which is fine, except that there's a HUGE subset of people who just refuse to call a spade a spade.

KUSportsDotNet is not affiliated with the University of Kansas or Kansas Athletics
Views expressed are not endorsed by KU or KUAD
Copyright ©2016 | Stats | @KUSportsDotNet