Butch Jones - Tennesee

Fired today.  I'm not on the fire Beaty train, but I would if I could get Jones

“I don’t really see Malik as a point guard,” Self said while talking to PG recruits

Re: Butch Jones - Tennesee

"The last straw, evidently: A 50-17 loss at Missouri "
https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba … ssee-coach

You want that guy?

Defense. Rebounds.

He's had 1 bad season his whole career.

“I don’t really see Malik as a point guard,” Self said while talking to PG recruits

To tell the truth, I don't follow coaches very much. That just jumped out at me.

1st think I that was that this guy was a looser to messourah.

Defense. Rebounds.

I was getting Butch Davis and Butch Jones mixed up. Jones's resume doesn't impress me.

We evidently don't have the needed balls to let the AD and coach go....we are looking for zero fans in the stands next year and Williams Fund donations to be dramatically reduced...

vmlb wrote:

I was getting Butch Davis and Butch Jones mixed up. Jones's resume doesn't impress me.

You're looking at the wrong resume.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butch_Jon … ing_record

The only pause on Jones is what happened at Tennessee?  But, I've stated for a few weeks now that all I care about is getting a football guy.  Maybe Jones fits that mold.

I'm in no hurry this season on the HC position, though.  Unless there's a guy the new AD really wants (and can get), we might as well just let Beaty take the lumps next year and keep trying to replenish the roster for another year.  The situation is impossible enough for whatever new HC we bring in.

"...in my opinion, the most prestigious chair in all of college basketball." -Bill Self

He's not necessarily a "Football Guy" though.

Before the season started, when signing day came around he said he didn't pay attention to any rankings, all he cared about was getting guys with "5 Star Hearts" and also said that his team was "Champions For Life" after they were eliminated from SEC Contention a few years back. A lot of people give Beaty crap for his "Earn It" phrase. But Jones has more phrases and way more corny than anything Beaty does.

"I felt like Deion!" Aqib Talib
"He makes plays you can’t coach, and he makes plays that look like he’s never been coached."
-Self on Tyshawn

CascadiaHawk wrote:
vmlb wrote:

Resume looks good with previous coach's recruits. His one year with his recruits doesn't look good.

Maybe that's what we need. A coach that wins with DBs recruits then takes a better job.

a lot of quality guys will be looking for jobs after this season ends.  ku could certainly upgrade with McElwain, Sumlin, Jones and others.

Stop waving our wheat!

vmlb wrote:
CascadiaHawk wrote:
vmlb wrote:

Resume looks good with previous coach's recruits. His one year with his recruits doesn't look good.

He took over a Tennesee program that had 4 losing seasons in the previous 5 years

5-7
7-6
6-7
5-7
5-7

He then went

5-7
7-6 (Won Bowl Game)
9-4 (Won Bowl Game)
9-4 (Won Bowl Game)
4-6* Fired

1 bad year

But the bad year gives a P5 program a lot of pause.  I mean, not KU, because my god, it literally can't get worse. But, any other program, you're really wondering what happened this year and why UTenn (new AD from Kansas State) was so quick to toss him aside.  I would guess big school politics.

Or maybe Jones wasn't willing to cover up Peyton Manning's rapes any longer.

"...in my opinion, the most prestigious chair in all of college basketball." -Bill Self

Tennessee fans are some the most unrealistic in all of sports.  They think it's their divine right to be a Top 10 program.

He also went 1-4 against Florida, which doesn't help.

We will never know, but he could have conceivably beat LSU and Vandy (both home games) and won a bowl game to finish at 7-6 this year.  Which, combined with his previous 3 years would have been 4 straight winning seasons and 4 straight bowl wins.  I probably wouldn't bet that would have happened, but it was possible.

I'm not saying he's the greatest coach ever, but when you look at our options and his history, it seems like a pretty decent fit to me.

CascadiaHawk wrote:

Tennessee fans are some the most unrealistic in all of sports.  They think it's their divine right to be a Top 10 program.

I wouldn't dispute that. I just think it's certainly possible that Jones isn't cut out for P5 football.  A lot of coaches get to that point and can't cut it.  That would be the only pause. 

As far as KU is concerned, though, at least the dude has HC experience.

CrimsonNBlue wrote:
CascadiaHawk wrote:

I wouldn't dispute that. I just think it's certainly possible that Jones isn't cut out for P5 football.  A lot of coaches get to that point and can't cut it.  That would be the only pause. 

As far as KU is concerned, though, at least the dude has HC experience.

So did Gill and Weis.

"I felt like Deion!" Aqib Talib
"He makes plays you can’t coach, and he makes plays that look like he’s never been coached."
-Self on Tyshawn

KUSportsDotNet is not affiliated with the University of Kansas or Kansas Athletics
Views expressed are not endorsed by KU or KUAD
Copyright ©2016 | Stats | @KUSportsDotNet