Re: LiAngelo Ball

And to the point about KU last year, Self spoke plenty. Every presser he had to address it. The KC Star kept going.

Josh and Bragg were under criminal investigation and eventually charged.  Not a chance in hell should they have been talking to media.  Vick is still under the statute of limitations.  Not a chance in hell should he address it.

"...in my opinion, the most prestigious chair in all of college basketball." -Bill Self

Nov 14 2017 12:19 pm
Vega offline

Maybe, but the fact remains you want to get ahead of the story and set its tone, and the most powerful message is going to come from the player's mouths, in person, and not written down. I have no issues, and you or Fish were saying to let it die, they are still on a plane headed to America. This wasn't weeks ago (well, the crime may have been) but still an ongoing issue. Hopefully this ends it, and the players can move on.

At least we're not Tiggerboards?

I'm not sure what there is to get out in front of at this point because it's over and they're coming back.  You're right in that you kill it ASAP.  I read Zagoria's interpretation as a presser.  Any scenario where they kids are taking questions just opens them up for not killing it.  If it's a prepared statement, then great, read it and head back to the locker room.

"...in my opinion, the most prestigious chair in all of college basketball." -Bill Self

Nov 14 2017 12:34 pm
Vega offline

The fact they were on house arrest for shoplifting in a hostile nation and it was questioned if they were going to have to do time in Chinese prisons, and after like 10 days, are just not getting back? That's not over? I don't think the story is over because the imminate threat of prosecution is over, especially since the American side knows almost nothing about this. I, and I'm sure million others, want to know their side of the story, and not giving us their account really doesn't allow us to move on from this.

Is their staying in a 5 star hotel a benefit available to all students?

"Do not go gentle into that good night
Old age should burn and rave at the close of day."
Dylan Thomas

Geezer wrote:

Depends on who paid for it. I would be curious to see if UCLA covers their additional hotel bill/expenses not to mention their lawyer for this.

Plane flight back?

"Do not go gentle into that good night
Old age should burn and rave at the close of day."
Dylan Thomas

twocoach wrote:
Geezer wrote:

Depends on who paid for it. I would be curious to see if UCLA covers their additional hotel bill/expenses not to mention their lawyer for this.

Would be OK if they did. And, I assume they did.

Vega wrote:

The fact they were on house arrest for shoplifting in a hostile nation and it was questioned if they were going to have to do time in Chinese prisons, and after like 10 days, are just not getting back? That's not over? I don't think the story is over because the imminate threat of prosecution is over, especially since the American side knows almost nothing about this. I, and I'm sure million others, want to know their side of the story, and not giving us their account really doesn't allow us to move on from this.

I think CnB is approaching this from a "what should UCLA do" standpoint.  They want it to die.  You're saying you don't really want to move on from the story.

The reality is with the news cycle being what it is, with a holiday next week, with how unimportant college basketball is this time of year to anyone but hardcore fans...this story would absolutely die if not refreshed by UCLA/Ball.

"Walking on the beach this morning, doing a little thinking when I saw footprints in the sand.  Reminded me of the poem Footprints in the Sand."  John Vincent Calipari, 8/14/14

Maybe the news conference was a condition for their release imposed by the Chinese government.  They will have to act contrite and be very complimentary as to how they were treated.

Nov 14 2017 1:39 pm
Vega offline

UCLA has 4 games in 7 days before the holiday, so that's 8 pressers right there, plus whatever other availability the players get. If they throw out a senior walk on in availability, they will still get asked about the arrest. UCLA wants to put out whatever BS story they want, get ahead of the narrative, and hope the next stupid story that happens starts getting the attention. I think Trump, who is giving a prime time speech tomorrow, in which he wants to highlight how amazing his Asian trip was, is going to use this, since he highlighted it in a gaggle on AF1. I'm not sure if Trump helped these players, but he will throw it squarely in the spotlight in 30 hours regardless, so put out their account, MAYBE take a few pre-approved questions, and hopefully move on with their lives.

Nov 14 2017 1:40 pm
Vega offline

Leawood wrote:

Maybe the news conference was a condition for their release imposed by the Chinese government.  They will have to act contrite and be very complimentary as to how they were treated.

Oh this is actually an interesting possibility too. State how wrong they were, and how the Chinese absolutely showed them mercy and were accommodating. Would be an excellent play by the Chinese, who had nothing to gain from all this, except favor with the US government.

jfish26 wrote:

, with how unimportant college basketball is this time of year

Ban

You got no fear of the underdog,
That's why you will not survive!

*Voted Greatest Poster on kusports.net - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Nov 14 2017 1:46 pm
Vega offline

PhDhawk wrote:
jfish26 wrote:

Ban

"to anyone but hardcore fans"

He qualified it fine. Preseason tournies are the only thing worth watching mostly until league play for non-hardcore fans.

It's usually Preseason Tournies = Opening Day/Week for Baseball, then you kinda follow until All Star Break (League play) then all the focus is in September (Conference tournaments) and everyone watches during the final post season.

Since it's 2017, I fully expect LaVar ball to come out in Big Baller clothing tomorrow praising Trump and China.

Nov 14 2017 1:47 pm
Vega offline

CrimsonNBlue wrote:

Since it's 2017, I fully expect LaVar ball to come out in Big Baller clothing tomorrow praising Trump and China.

Chairman Mao or nothing.

Vega wrote:
PhDhawk wrote:
jfish26 wrote:

Ban

"to anyone but hardcore fans"

He qualified it fine. Preseason tournies are the only thing worth watching mostly until league play for non-hardcore fans.

It's usually Preseason Tournies = Opening Day/Week for Baseball, then you kinda follow until All Star Break (League play) then all the focus is in September (Conference tournaments) and everyone watches during the final post season.

On the day of the champions classic?

At least do that thing you did to Illannoy and make him re-type his password every time he comes back.

You got no fear of the underdog,
That's why you will not survive!

*Voted Greatest Poster on kusports.net - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Nov 14 2017 1:50 pm
Vega offline

Listen, it's not my responsibility for people to memorize their own damn passwords. I personally use the first and last letter of the URL, "Password", then the number of characters the top level domain is. Make your own damn systems.

Nov 15 2017 10:33 am
Vega offline

On cue

(1) #320

hey UCLA players: during the national anthem before your next game, take a knee, I dare you!

Any player who would go to a communist country and shoplift is an idiot!  They are very fortunate to be back home. Daddy Ball could not help them when they fucked up in China!   I hope they are suspended for a significant number of games due to their disgraceful behavior!

Is it just me or has Judy been way fired up on every post in the last few months? Maybe it's been that way for a while, but 3 exclamation points in one post is impressive..

"I felt like Deion!" Aqib Talib
"He makes plays you can’t coach, and he makes plays that look like he’s never been coached."
-Self on Tyshawn

impressive!!!

Nov 15 2017 12:06 pm
Vega offline

Judy Jayhawk wrote:

Any player who would go to a communist country and shoplift is an idiot!  They are very fortunate to be back home. Daddy Ball could not help them when they fucked up in China!   I hope they are suspended for a significant number of games due to their disgraceful behavior!

I heard they were being held out of a few practices, but no games. Second hand info so not sure if true

I guess UCLA wants to make sure that if they go to a communist country in the future their athletes are not afraid to break the law.  See Otto Warmbier he tried to steal a poster.  It was a very dangerous move on the part of the players and a point needs to be made.

KUSportsDotNet is not affiliated with the University of Kansas or Kansas Athletics
Views expressed are not endorsed by KU or KUAD
Copyright ©2016 | Stats | @KUSportsDotNet