Re: Zenger

Let me rewrite that for him the way it should have been written.....

Dear University of Kansas Family,

When I (fuck WE - despite my knowing it was a "group" decision. take personal responsibility Zenger!) hired David I knew it was going to be a long process considering how bad I and those before me fucked up our football program with piss poor decisions. I can use roster numbers as an excuse just as I could use a bunch of other things as excuses - and I probably should list them all because the bottom line is excuses are for losers and no doubt we are losers. Now I and everyone else are ALL living through the nightmare of our being potentially one of the 5 worst football programs in the country. Unfortunately we sucked for the past 8 seasons and we will continue to suck as long as I am at the helm and continue to make piss poor decisions and have coaches who are nice guys but have proven to be useless in terms of turning the program around. I keep saying it can only get better and yet it doesn't so I need to look in the mirror and take responsibility. I know it's been difficult for everybody and David knows the goal is to win and lets all (including MYSELF) be honest - he and his staff and the players have failed miserably in that regard. I have to admit I am/was foolish to believe and have faith that he will/would turn the program around because he has done NOTHING to show me that I should have faith and believe it. I should know from experience what success and failure look like and for me to be blind in terms of David and our program makes me look like a clueless idiot. Of course we all want success - and instead with me at the helm and David as out coach, we have had the furthest thing from success as possible. We are pathetic and things MUST change starting today. Therefore, at this moment, I am firing David and resigning as the AD of the University of Kansas athletic department. WE tried (probably not hard enough) and we failed. I take personal responsibility and I take responsibility for the entire program being that I am the AD and I am the one who helped create the mess we are in. I apologize to the KU family and wish nothing but the best for KU athletics moving forward.

Condolences,
Sheahon Zenger

Last edited by Schmuck (Nov 07 2017 8:01 am)

"Dirty Feathers" - tcat 2/7/17

PhDhawk wrote:

Rubs me the wrong way reading that knowing that the roster numbers situation was largely the fault of zengers first choice to coach this team, frontbutt.

This is my thinking. Beaty really got a raw deal, but the raw deal was caused by Zenger's first hire.

"I felt like Deion!" Aqib Talib
"He makes plays you can’t coach, and he makes plays that look like he’s never been coached."
-Self on Tyshawn

Keegan has a pretty good article on the dotcom addressing this.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2017/nov/ … rs-faith-/

He’s right that he inherited a tough, tough situation from Charlie Weis, who recruited far too many junior college and four-year transfers.

But the truth is Beaty has relied too heavily on them as well, and he won’t have enough fourth- and fifth-year players in the fourth and fifth years of his original contract as he could have, had he recruited with more discipline and patience.

By my calculations, Beaty has used 45 scholarships on high school players and 29 on transfers from either junior colleges or four-year schools.

Beaty has not practiced what he preached and still preaches.

Athletic director Sheahon Zenger issued through department spokesman Jim Marchiony a statement in support of Beaty that in part read, “When we hired David we knew it was going to be a long process considering the roster numbers we were dealing with at the time.”

That’s the closest Zenger has come to saying he botched his first football hire, Charlie Weis. The problem with that is that Zenger knows full well that situation was created by Weis taking too many transfers and that Beaty has taken too many transfers as well. Not as many as Weis, but too many. So Beaty and Zenger both are guilty of either revisionist history or deep denial. Either way, not good.

Zenger also said of Beaty, “I have faith, as I did the day we hired him, that he will rebuild this program the right way.”

Translation: No way I get a third hire, so I might as well back my second hire.

Zenger also said he knows “from experience that coaching continuity and upgrading facilities equal to our peers’ are critical to the building of a successful Power 5 program, which is what we all want.”

Coaching continuity? He fired Turner Gill after 24 games and Charlie Weis after 28. Firing hasn’t been Zenger’s problem. Both coaches deserved the heave-ho. It’s the hiring Zenger can’t seem to get right.

In Beaty’s three seasons, he has had three defensive line coaches, three offensive coordinators, three quarterback coaches, three wide receivers coaches, three defensive line coaches, two special-teams coordinators, two linebacker coaches and two running backs coaches.

Defensive coordinator Clint Bowen, Kenny Perry (cornerbacks) and Zach Yenser (offensive line) are the only holdovers from his first staff. A 33 percent retention rate in the third season does not meet the standards of the word "continuity."

You got no fear of the underdog,
That's why you will not survive!

*Voted Greatest Poster on kusports.net - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

I think the statement alone should be a fireable offense!

PhDhawk wrote:

Keegan has a pretty good article on the dotcom addressing this.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2017/nov/ … rs-faith-/

He’s right that he inherited a tough, tough situation from Charlie Weis, who recruited far too many junior college and four-year transfers.

But the truth is Beaty has relied too heavily on them as well, and he won’t have enough fourth- and fifth-year players in the fourth and fifth years of his original contract as he could have, had he recruited with more discipline and patience.

By my calculations, Beaty has used 45 scholarships on high school players and 29 on transfers from either junior colleges or four-year schools.

Beaty has not practiced what he preached and still preaches.

Athletic director Sheahon Zenger issued through department spokesman Jim Marchiony a statement in support of Beaty that in part read, “When we hired David we knew it was going to be a long process considering the roster numbers we were dealing with at the time.”

That’s the closest Zenger has come to saying he botched his first football hire, Charlie Weis. The problem with that is that Zenger knows full well that situation was created by Weis taking too many transfers and that Beaty has taken too many transfers as well. Not as many as Weis, but too many. So Beaty and Zenger both are guilty of either revisionist history or deep denial. Either way, not good.

Zenger also said of Beaty, “I have faith, as I did the day we hired him, that he will rebuild this program the right way.”

Translation: No way I get a third hire, so I might as well back my second hire.

Zenger also said he knows “from experience that coaching continuity and upgrading facilities equal to our peers’ are critical to the building of a successful Power 5 program, which is what we all want.”

Coaching continuity? He fired Turner Gill after 24 games and Charlie Weis after 28. Firing hasn’t been Zenger’s problem. Both coaches deserved the heave-ho. It’s the hiring Zenger can’t seem to get right.

In Beaty’s three seasons, he has had three defensive line coaches, three offensive coordinators, three quarterback coaches, three wide receivers coaches, three defensive line coaches, two special-teams coordinators, two linebacker coaches and two running backs coaches.

Defensive coordinator Clint Bowen, Kenny Perry (cornerbacks) and Zach Yenser (offensive line) are the only holdovers from his first staff. A 33 percent retention rate in the third season does not meet the standards of the word "continuity."

In Beaty's defense, he has generally only looked to JuCo's as a last resort, and he's taking guys that graduate in December, many of them having 3 years to play 2.

"...in my opinion, the most prestigious chair in all of college basketball." -Bill Self

Right, but I think Keegan said 21 of them were JuCo transfers, that means you've had to go to your last resort 21 times. Which means you're not getting the job done in HS recruiting.

I was aware that we were getting transfers and JuCo players, obviously, hell you'd be stupid not to. But my perception was that it wasn't happening to that extent. I really thought we were just filling some holes.

But those numbers, if Keegan's accurate, aren't good. It's not good in the sense that we aren't "building the roster the right way" to a large extent, and it's not good in the sense of replacing Beaty.

If your excuse for being 1-8 is that we're lacking upperclassmen, but you're not actually lacking upperclassmen, then your excuse sucks.

I mean, it's better than Weis wasting scholarships on guys who never take a class or suit up, but it's not good.

I don't think it's as black and white as Keegan says. I'd have to look a lot closer, but it would not surprise me if we're double-recruiting positions with both HS and JuCo's and redshirting them both.  It would then make sense that we have only 8 seniors in that situation.

"...in my opinion, the most prestigious chair in all of college basketball." -Bill Self

It's hard to find completely accurate information, but per the roster on kuathletics.com the current breakdown is:

SR - 14
JR - 30
SO - 28
FR - 37

Something I found very interesting is that only 3 players are listed as having redshirted, 1 SO, 1 JR, and 1 SR.  I have no idea how many are currently redshirting, but could be as many as 11 if 'RS: in the experience column means they are currently redshirting.  I also find this article a bit strange.  Not sure why Beaty wants to be so secretive about this information.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2017/nov/ … ball-play/

“I don’t really see Malik as a point guard,” Self said while talking to PG recruits

LJW paid someone to write that sentence.

I believe, but I'm also an "independent thinker."  Quite a conundrum.

Can we get Jim Phillips from Northwestern?

Helps bring in a ton of money.
Football top 25
Basketball top 25
Bunch of other sports top 25 throughout the school year.

http://nusports.com/news/2017/11/8/wome … eport.aspx

"Dirty Feathers" - tcat 2/7/17

W O W

Another statement by Girod going all in on Zenger.

DOjChVZXcAIBI_R.jpg
DOjCimbXcAAhGMv.jpg

Fuck!  I saw Zenger at the top and thought maybe he got axed.  This sounds like the bullshit they put out right before they both get canned!  He should say he is dreading donors deciding not to contribute next year due to the disaster on the football field!

sounds like the ku monied like dr. z and beaty.

Stop waving our wheat!

We are at the bottom anyway, Doug is thinking, "hey, I'm the new guy here, this isn't my mess!" And actually, by keeping them around they (Z and HCDB) are forever loyal to him... he didn't chop off their heads when he very well could have.

So, let's move on. We're not getting a new AD nor are we getting a new Head Ball Coach.

Say we win 3 games next year? Is everyone happy? Does Jayhawk Nation pronounce, "See, we are on the road to recovery!!"

Say we win 3 games in 2018 and 6 games in 2019, we go bowling and everyone says, "Doug Girod was a genius, he saw GREATNESS, he stuck with these two guys when everyone.... everyone, counted them out!!"

So, logically this is a no-brainer for Girod. Why should he get on the fire the football coach every three year roller coaster?? This is not his mess.

Go the other route, say he axes both Zenger and Beaty at the end of this football season. Now, all the pressure and expectations are squarely on him. The future of the KU football program is on his shoulders. Doug's new AD better win and win big. Doug's new football coach better get us to a bowl game quick.

I believe Doug G. took one look at our football program and said, "Best leave this mess in Sheahon's lap!!" By not giving Z and HCDB the pink slip he is invoking the Pottery Barn Principle, "You break it...you pay for it!"

Last edited by tophawk87 (Nov 14 2017 11:47 am)

Wise men still seek Him

Girod's job doesn't depend on the football program's success or lack thereof.

Doesn't solely depend on it, but it's part of his job as well.

"I felt like Deion!" Aqib Talib
"He makes plays you can’t coach, and he makes plays that look like he’s never been coached."
-Self on Tyshawn

CrimsonNBlue wrote:

Who writes a statement in center-justified text?  That's not a lot better than Comic Sans.

"Walking on the beach this morning, doing a little thinking when I saw footprints in the sand.  Reminded me of the poem Footprints in the Sand."  John Vincent Calipari, 8/14/14

He's a signature.

He has to make statements on behalf of the University, but he's not even the guy that finds/hires the AD. 

If that job depended on football at all, then BGL's job would have been in trouble.

jfish26 wrote:
CrimsonNBlue wrote:

Who writes a statement in center-justified text?  That's not a lot better than Comic Sans.

LJW typed that.

I never said you fire Beaty.  You fire that twerp Zenger and get a real AD in here.  Let him/her assess the football program.

Other than hiring/firing the head football coach, what can the AD do to improve the product on the field?

KU is doing things right from a facilities and financial standpoint based on everything I've read and seen.

I'm pissed about Zenger for what appears now to be two bad hires, but I'm not sure bringing in another AD changes anything until he/she inevitably makes a coaching change, and even then it's a gamble.

I have no idea what it is, but we're not doing something right.  It's different here than anywhere else.

I mean, if Northwestern can figure it out, what the fuck is wrong with us?

ku is much more like indiana than northwestern.

Stop waving our wheat!

You dim by the day.

Whenever that dipshit posts, I am happy to receive this:

This post was made by an ignored user. Click here to show the post.

KUSportsDotNet is not affiliated with the University of Kansas or Kansas Athletics
Views expressed are not endorsed by KU or KUAD
Copyright ©2016 | Stats | @KUSportsDotNet