Re: Another shooting

When we talk about stronger gun laws, what are we actually talking about?  How many gun deaths would actually be avoided if we did the things that should be easily passable in a sane society - e.g. can't get a gun if you're on no-fly list, no automatic rifles, etc...  ?

The thing that always bothers me about this is that the statistics about gun deaths always get thrown out in these arguments about how the US has so many more gun deaths, but those discussions only seem to happen in cases where a bunch of white people get shot. 

The situation in Texas is certainly tragic.  But a crapload more people were killed by guns in, say, the south side of Chicago this summer, than were killed in these mass shootings. 

What's the scope of what we're trying to accomplish?  Fewer gun deaths?  The gun restrictions generally discussed would affect a fairly low percentage of those. 

I guess what I'm getting at is the frustration I have when total gun death statistics get used in arguments about restricting gun availability whenever a mass shooting of white people occurs.  I think there are a few different gun-related issues out there that need to be prioritized and handled differently.

People don't give a shit about gang violence.  They only care about shootings when it's a white cop or white crazy person.

I think the reason nobody really cares about gang shootings is because there is logic behind them.  Fighting over turf, theft, or sending a message.  But these mass shootings have no logic or reason behind them.  I don't necessarily want to say it's a nihilistic point of view, but these men all try to do as much damage as they can and then kill themselves.

DCHawk1 wrote:
Schmuck wrote:

Spent an hour this afternoon listening to Obama -  in person. Talked about a lot of interesting stuff but when asked what WE need to do in terms of the "gun issue" he said, EVERYONE needs to vote - because he believes the majority of people in this country are wanting a major change and the best way for it to happen is to educate yourself and make your vote matter.

He's wrong.

Polls show consistent majority support for gun reforms/greater restrictions.

But they also show that most people who hold those opinions don't hold them very strongly.  They favor change, but not enough to do anything about it.

I respect your response.
I'm not smart enough to know if he's right or wrong. Heck, I'm not even smart enough to know if the majority of those eligible to vote really give a damn about gun reforms/greater restrictions.
I mean, we live in a society where violence sells and as Geezer and others have said, people are now numb to "mass shootings". It's almost become the "norm" and is to be expected. I wake up each morning wondering what/where next?
Do people really give a shit if they have not directly been impacted by gun "violence"? Of course I feel people with moral values don't want to see innocent people get shot and killed but is it enough to make them want to go out and "cast" a vote that they otherwise had no interest in doing?
Regardless, are there enough politicians running who are 100% committed to passing gun reforms/restrictions that would make a difference and if they did - define "difference". There will ALWAYS be people who will find ways to obtain guns if they are hell bent on doing it. Of course making it more difficult is a good thing and one less "crazy" with a gun makes a difference - but then tell that to the victims friends and families.
I hate to say this but we (Americans) will NEVER be able to eliminate gun "violence" to a degree that we can say we don't have a gun "problem" in this country.

Last edited by Schmuck (Nov 09 2017 7:55 am)

"Dirty Feathers" - tcat 2/7/17

DCHawk1 wrote:

Not my interpretation.

Gallup in particular has reams of data showing that majorities favor greater restrictions but also believe that the restrictions would make little difference in gun violence.  These voters therefore place low priority on gun policy in choosing candidates -- thereby giving the ardent believers on the other side outsized influence on the policy process.

I still think you and Obama both are missing one step in logic here.

"...in my opinion, the most prestigious chair in all of college basketball." -Bill Self

mjlinchitown wrote:

When we talk about stronger gun laws, what are we actually talking about?  How many gun deaths would actually be avoided if we did the things that should be easily passable in a sane society - e.g. can't get a gun if you're on no-fly list, no automatic rifles, etc...  ?

The thing that always bothers me about this is that the statistics about gun deaths always get thrown out in these arguments about how the US has so many more gun deaths, but those discussions only seem to happen in cases where a bunch of white people get shot. 

The situation in Texas is certainly tragic.  But a crapload more people were killed by guns in, say, the south side of Chicago this summer, than were killed in these mass shootings. 

What's the scope of what we're trying to accomplish?  Fewer gun deaths?  The gun restrictions generally discussed would affect a fairly low percentage of those. 

I guess what I'm getting at is the frustration I have when total gun death statistics get used in arguments about restricting gun availability whenever a mass shooting of white people occurs.  I think there are a few different gun-related issues out there that need to be prioritized and handled differently.

This is getting dangerously close to the extremely flawed argument that if it's not just a gun issue, then it's not a gun issue at all.

Fewer gun deaths is exactly what I would like and I prefer that total gun death statistics be used whenever there is a gun death.  Including in the case of suicide.

"...in my opinion, the most prestigious chair in all of college basketball." -Bill Self

Nov 14 2017 1:48 pm
Vega offline

Elementary School shooting, but so far only three dead, so it's a success.

At least we're not Tiggerboards?

It was in California, though, so gun control per se will never change anything.

These things happen.

Please ask me about my plumber.

Nov 14 2017 1:53 pm
Vega offline

CrimsonNBlue wrote:

It was in California, though, so gun control per se will never change anything.

Obvious satire, but read a good piece recently that I cannot find, but based on a 2015 Times piece that tracked down where cross state guns are coming from

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 … -laws.html

Nov 14 2017 1:54 pm
Vega offline

joiseyboy wrote:

These things happen.

Thoughts and prayers son. All we can do at this point.

I could put this in the Facebook thread, but I've had lots of NRA ads showing up in my social media feed lately

ftr4cZS.jpg

“The best way I can describe it is, having a diaper on and never changing it.  And just sitting in that diaper the whole year.”
N.Y. Jet, Brandon Marshall. Speaking of last season’s disastrous 5 -11 record

Nov 14 2017 2:07 pm
Vega offline

TBF, hanging around with a hammer head would probably let the ladies know I'm cool, and totally don't have  a super small penis.

I hate it when this thread gets bumped.

Defense. Rebounds.

Nov 14 2017 2:09 pm
Vega offline

jhawks99 wrote:

I hate it when this thread gets bumped.

Eh, move to Australia or Japan. I should make this thread view-able only to American IPs

Nov 14 2017 2:22 pm
Vega offline

Went down a bad Rabbit Hole seeing this thread was over 74 pages now. God damn we are a terrible people in this nation.

Vega wrote:

Went down a bad Rabbit Hole seeing this thread was over 74 pages now. God damn we are a terrible people in this nation.

Freedum ain't free, dummy.

“The best way I can describe it is, having a diaper on and never changing it.  And just sitting in that diaper the whole year.”

yawn

"Scientific literacy is an intellectual vaccine against the claims of charlatans who would exploit ignorance"

I blame hollywood.

I blame God. If he/she/it didn't create man/woman we wouldn't have people shooting one another.
I'm wondering if there is a God, at what point does he/she/it decide fuck it, let's kill off everyone on the planet and start over and see what happens.

Last edited by Schmuck (Nov 15 2017 11:04 am)

"Dirty Feathers" - tcat 2/7/17

Ardvark wrote:

I blame hollywood.

Schmuck wrote:

I blame God. If he/she/it didn't create man/woman we wouldn't have people shooting one another.
I'm wondering if there is a God, at what point does he/she/it decide fuck it, let's kill off everyone on the planet and start over and see what happens.

You two could save money if you went to therapy together.

“I don’t really see Malik as a point guard,” Self said while talking to PG recruits

Nov 15 2017 12:05 pm
Vega offline

TraditionKU wrote:

yawn

I don’t even think this made broadcast TV.

Vega wrote:
TraditionKU wrote:

yawn

I don’t even think this made broadcast TV.

every month week day, it seems

"Scientific literacy is an intellectual vaccine against the claims of charlatans who would exploit ignorance"

KUSportsDotNet is not affiliated with the University of Kansas or Kansas Athletics
Views expressed are not endorsed by KU or KUAD
Copyright ©2016 | Stats | @KUSportsDotNet