Re: OFFICIAL Washington vs. KU game thread

Look, Baylor might be the only team left that will actually be able to use this game for an extended time as proof of how to beat KU.  We're going to be fine.

Don't give up, don't ever give up. -Jimmy V

RonKelloggFan wrote:
mjlinchitown wrote:

Their (Washington's) defense was not good.

I agree with this.

Vick was left WIDE open over and over. Washington essentially dared Vick and Udoka to try to score every time down. They coulda scored 90 combined if they did.

Exactly why their defense was so good.

Good defense prevents you from doing what you want, and forces you to do what they want.

You got no fear of the underdog,
That's why you will not survive!

*Voted Greatest Poster on kusports.net - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

thekid6 wrote:

We're going to be fine.

I 100% agree.

Still, it's concerning how tentative and unsure we looked tonight. No swagger at all.

Probably a good wake-up call for us long term.

PhDhawk wrote:
RonKelloggFan wrote:
mjlinchitown wrote:

I agree with this.

Vick was left WIDE open over and over. Washington essentially dared Vick and Udoka to try to score every time down. They coulda scored 90 combined if they did.

Good defense prevents you from doing what you want, and forces you to do what they want.

It's semantics, but it's hard for me to acknowledge Washington's defense was good when it seemed we coulda shot an open 3-5 foot open jumper every time down. And we missed a bunch of open 3's early.

I'll give Washington credit for essentially betting that Vick and Udoka wouldn't be able to beat them. I can't argue it didn't work, because we looked like crap and Washington won. It's just my opinion that our suckiness had more to do with our guys than Washington's guys.

ron wrote:

Lots of missed 3's that were fairly open.

Not lots.
Maybe a handful.
They really bothered us tonight.

PhDhawk wrote:
mjlinchitown wrote:
pwhittemore wrote:

Washington just did a better job contesting our threes.
The student took the teacher's zone and dominated us with it.

Did they?  We shot a good percentage despite missing a bunch of bunnies.  Their defense was not good.

Their defense wasn't good, it was great.

They completely prevented us from doing the two things we wanted to do. Lobs to dok and uncontested threes, and only allowed us to do something we're not comfortable with, shooting mid range jumpers, which, by the way don't draw fouls, don't get the crowd excited, and aren't worth three points.

100% agree. Announcers were all over this, Vic should have had Wilt type numbers tonight offensively. If not Washington would have forced him to give assists to someone. The announcers were all over this in my opinion, he was shocked it was so easy and got scared. If they decided to stop him that would have opened up the 5 or the rest of the team for 3's.

Newman is not as good as Garrett, but Garrett makes some freshman mistakes.

They played great defense. KU shot horrible, combination of defense and percentages and non-aggressiveness. This can knock them out in the bracket.

I believe this will get corrected. I think there are only 3 teams that can play the defense KU faced tonight. Washington, Syracuse, and possibly Duke. Washington gets a lot of credit because KU just beat Syracuse and could tweak their defense to adjust to what didn't work for Syracuse. I think Duke can do similar because of them having some high quality players and coach K embracing more 3x2 zone this year.

All that said, KU is going to kick some more ass and Coach Self will use this as a lesson for the team.

Scott Drew is looking at this game and thinkin, 'maybe this year!!!!!!!!'

RonKelloggFan wrote:
PhDhawk wrote:
RonKelloggFan wrote:
mjlinchitown wrote:

I agree with this.

It's semantics, but it's hard for me to acknowledge Washington's defense was good when it seemed we coulda shot an open 3-5 foot open jumper every time down. And we missed a bunch of open 3's early.

I'll give Washington credit for essentially betting that Vick and Udoka wouldn't be able to beat them. I can't argue it didn't work, because we looked like crap and Washington won. It's just my opinion that our suckiness had more to do with our guys than Washington's guys.

Their defense was good at stopping 3's but giving up the 2's and it worked tonight. I think Vic was surprised it was so easy and started second guessing himself.

I also think the guards didn't try to drive to hoop very much. I think they settled for the 3 more than they should have.

nubronco wrote:

Their defense was good at stopping 3's but giving up the 2's and it worked tonight. I think Vic was surprised it was so easy and started second guessing himself.

I also think the guards didn't try to drive to hoop very much. I think they settled for the 3 more than they should have.

I'll give huge props to Washington for betting that Vick (mostly) and Udoka (when he was actually on the court) couldn't be confident enough to beat them. But still, the open-ness of Vick was pretty stunning.

Perhaps Washington counted on Udoka getting in foul trouble early. It's actually a good bet, as Udoka can't stop from picking up early fouls.

I'd love to see a re-match in February and watch Self and his team win by 20, but credit to Washington for taking advantage of our lack of depth and early season stupidity!

KUSportsDotNet is not affiliated with the University of Kansas or Kansas Athletics
Views expressed are not endorsed by KU or KUAD
Copyright ©2016 | Stats | @KUSportsDotNet