Re: Official meltdown thread

True.
Relying on Clay Young to guard 5's just ain't gonna cut it.
But Self recruited Preston. And Diallo. And Alexander.

“You could see this coming if you were a coach,” Self said. “When we're energized and moving the ball and everybody's playing with energy, I think we're a real nice team. But when we're not, we get average real quick.”

Pretty much sums it up. Even the highest level athlete becomes an average athlete when they are standing around. Pretty easy to guard a guy who isn't doing anything.

twocoach wrote:
pwhittemore wrote:

This one was more on Self than games that I can remember.
When you can't figure out a junk zone and don't change much there's some blame that goes to the coach there.

How to beat a zone: A) Make outside shots or B) Make inside shots

When you fail at both you fail to win. What else is there to "figure out?"

Defense.

Self could have made adjustments...but Self doesn't always do that. He coached just as lazy as we played.

Here's a "meltdown". Decent chance this team would get smoked 25 out of 30 games against the 08 team.
Nice thing is besides Dook, there are no other teams I would consider to be better than very good this season.
Otherwise, nothing to melt down about. Bad loss last night - as all losses in games we are favored to win can be considered a "bad" loss.
This morning the sun rose, the Pope is still Catholic, and I'm still short, bald and ugly. Life goes on.
This team wasn't going undefeated. On to the next.

Last edited by Schmuck (Dec 07 2017 7:50 am)

"Dirty Feathers" - tcat 2/7/17

Schmuck wrote:

Here's a "meltdown". Decent chance this team would get smoked 25 out of 30 games against the 08 team.
Nice thing is besides Dook, there are no other teams I would consider to be better than very good this season.
Otherwise, nothing to melt down about. Bad loss last night - as all losses in games we are favored to win can be considered a "bad" loss.
This morning the sun rose, the Pope is still Catholic, and I'm still short, bald and ugly. Life goes on.

I think it's dook, then a gap, then Villanova and MSU, then a gap, then everyone else.

We might be the best team in the everyone else category. Which isn't too bad. Hell, there might be a gap between us and the 5th best team in the country right now. 

Assuming last night was a one off, I'd take it over what's happened with Arizona or Florida, who were other teams that looked like they might be competing to be FF type teams.

Last edited by PhDhawk (Dec 07 2017 8:01 am)

You got no fear of the underdog,
That's why you will not survive!

*Voted Greatest Poster on kusports.net - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

If we are going to have any losses, lets get them out of the way in the non-con.

This loss doesn't mean shit.

Last edited by Naismith (Dec 07 2017 8:10 am)

The 14th is forthcoming..   
In Self we trust..
amen

For real though, Travis Kelce, et al: buncha losers. Bad karma.

"...in my opinion, the most prestigious chair in all of college basketball." -Bill Self

the Pope is still Catholic,

Sorta

I believe, but I'm also an "independent thinker."  Quite a conundrum.

Obviously this loss means nothing in the grand scheme of things. We have a few of these games each year (that's just "college basketball")....what sort of concerned me was that many of our guys seemed content to just roll over and die. There didn't seem to be urgency from the people you would expect (graham svi vick).

I'd like to know why we waited until it was too late to try pressing? I'm guessing because of wanting to avoid foul trouble...or why we didn't switch up our offensive strategy a bit until late? Our shooting percentage was fine, but we were playing too slow, and they were forcing some turnovers...and I know some people hate shooting 3s, but when you've got 4 guards playing 100% of the time you've got to hit more 3s than we did.

We will learn from this I suppose.

Sure hope Kansas City isn't hosting any tournament games this year though.

Last edited by Illinoisjayhawk (Dec 07 2017 9:09 am)

Wichita. Dallas.
Regional in Omaha.

Doesn’t really matter where we play elite eight games.

"...in my opinion, the most prestigious chair in all of college basketball." -Bill Self

CrimsonNBlue wrote:

Nope. Just depends how the players perform. Ask Mario and Tyshawn. Big time players perform in the biggest games. It's been our players fault, not the venue.

And yes I know you were throwing a little shade.

Dec 07 2017 9:28 am
Vega offline

CrimsonNBlue wrote:

At this point I kinda prefer getting shipped off.

At least we're not Tiggerboards?

PhDhawk wrote:
Schmuck wrote:

I think it's dook, then a gap, then Villanova and MSU, then a gap, then everyone else.

We might be the best team in the everyone else category. Which isn't too bad. Hell, there might be a gap between us and the 5th best team in the country right now. 

Assuming last night was a one off, I'd take it over what's happened with Arizona or Florida, who were other teams that looked like they might be competing to be FF type teams.

We have a lot of weaknesses and vulnerabilities, especially the way our roster is but unlike any other season when we kinda are what we are, we AREN'T the team we're going to be. Adding a Top 15, Top 25 and Top 35 recruit to the roster midseason is unheard of in the sport so there's really no sense for me to worry about what we look like right now. We sucked last night, we'll probably suck again another night or three this season. Our good can be really good and our bad can be really bad. Same as about 25 other teams.

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketb … onal-title

"He said he wanted to lead like Frank Mason and take on the starring role for the Big 12 king.
But can Devonte' Graham handle this?
They'll suffer on his bad nights, like his three-point night Wednesday against the Huskies.

Graham has scored 35 points twice this season and collected fewer than 10 points in two separate outings, too. He has now finished three games this season with a clip below 30 percent from the field and five contests under 40 percent. He finished 3-for-14 in a Champions Classic win over Kentucky this season.
And there was the 0-for-7 effort in the Elite Eight loss to Oregon last season, along with 2-for-10 outing in a loss to TCU in the Big 12 tournament quarterfinals."

pwhittemore wrote:

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketb … onal-title

"He said he wanted to lead like Frank Mason and take on the starring role for the Big 12 king.
But can Devonte' Graham handle this?
They'll suffer on his bad nights, like his three-point night Wednesday against the Huskies.

Graham has scored 35 points twice this season and collected fewer than 10 points in two separate outings, too. He has now finished three games this season with a clip below 30 percent from the field and five contests under 40 percent. He finished 3-for-14 in a Champions Classic win over Kentucky this season.
And there was the 0-for-7 effort in the Elite Eight loss to Oregon last season, along with 2-for-10 outing in a loss to TCU in the Big 12 tournament quarterfinals."

Honestly, I think the answer to the question is NO. I don't think Graham is consistent enough to lead KU through five straight tough games in the NCAA tourney. Maybe that changes as he has more tools available to him as far as teammates but I doubt adding three more inexperienced players makes it EASIER for him to lead us. Who knows, teams make the Final Four all the time who were head scratchers at some point in the season.

Last edited by twocoach (Dec 07 2017 9:55 am)

Fwiw frank couldn't lead us through 5 tough tournament games either.

Graham scores on jumpers almost exclusively. He doesn't score consistently driving to the basket. And really struggles with length. I mean he couldn't even pass the ball inside last night a number of times. He'd just throw it right into the defenders hands who were at the top of the zone. I've never seen so many alley oop passes blocked.

He will bounce back.

I'm not confident when Graham is trying to break pressure dribbling.
He keeps the ball unguarded from his body and doesn't control it in traffic.
When he's on fire, it's great, because he just needs a little bit of space to hit his circus shots.

Illinoisjayhawk wrote:

He had 21 points.
Graham had 3 and went 0-7 from the field.

pwhittemore wrote:
Illinoisjayhawk wrote:

He had 21 points.
Graham had 3 and went 0-7 from the field.

21pts wasn't enough apparently.

I wasn't trying to be negative about frank. And I definitely don't blame him solely for the loss....but he did disappear down the stretch of that game.

Your comment makes me flash back to Nova. It's that exact style of breaking pressure that lost us that game....regardless of the bad foul call that followed.

pwhittemore wrote:

I'm not confident when Graham is trying to break pressure dribbling.

One of my main concerns with this team. Not just graham, but we don't have guys that can just beat someone off the bounce and get to the rim. Graham is probably the best at it, I was hoping Malik would have some of this in his game, but I haven't seen it. He's got great overall speed, but he's not gonna break you down one on one. And when the 3 isn't falling, and you can't get to the rim in half court offense, its problematic. Last night was magnified because of the 3-2 zone, we won't see that much this season.

Hats off to Washington. They had a great gameplan.

Malik can do it. He just cannot finish. So....kinda useless getting to the rim if you're just going to miss/get stuffed.

Dec 07 2017 10:28 am
Vega offline

This is an awesome meltdown thread. Good job everyone.

At least we're not Tiggerboards?

Malik is flat out not as good as I thought he was going to be.

And neither is dok, honestly.

Going to be a giant log jam of players at nearly every position next year if this recruiting class adds another piece or 2.

I still think we have a good chance to make the final 4. Not many good teams this year. If we can get some luck to fall our way in how our bracket breaks down we've got as good of a chance as anyone....unless the tournament committee decides to put a bunch of teams who are long and play zone into our region to try to facilitate an upset like they're notorious for doing.

Last edited by Illinoisjayhawk (Dec 07 2017 10:31 am)

KUSportsDotNet is not affiliated with the University of Kansas or Kansas Athletics
Views expressed are not endorsed by KU or KUAD
Copyright ©2016 | Stats | @KUSportsDotNet