Re: Alex Smith or Pat Mahomes?

Not on play callers, not on officials, not on Smith.
Line play in the second half was abysmal.

"Do not go gentle into that good night
Old age should burn and rave at the close of day."
Dylan Thomas

Vega wrote:

Smith in 4 years over Brey ever. Smith was amazing this season. No reason to hate on him. This is 100% on the sideline callers

C'mon.

Why does it seem we need to either be on Camp Alex or Camp Mahomes?!

Smith was GREAT in the 1st half. I loved the aggressiveness. My jaw hit the floor when Smith aggressively drove KC down right before halftime and double-pumped a TD. It was a borderline stupid drive to be SO aggressive, but I loved it.

But once again, when the game mattered, he came up flat. He just doesn't have a flair. A spirit of rallying a team. I can't explain it but I see it. He's a "really good" QB. Most teams would love to have him. But I'm done with him. I know what he can (or can't) do.

Last edited by RonKelloggFan (Jan 06 2018 8:19 pm)

Two huge drops by Chiefs WRs in 4th. Alex gets a big first down and it’s called back on a phantom hold call. It’s like the Steelers game...you can’t put your finger on it: alex didn’t loose it...he didn’t win it though.

Jan 06 2018 8:24 pm
Sparko offline

Not having Kelce was critical.  He had killed them.  So an “accidental” head blow changed everything.  The refs ruined a classic game, but nobody will remember anything but the deflected pass that was adavanced.

Wise men still seek Him.  Because Jesus is a liberal progressive.

The hit was football.
It was so bad luck Chiefs.
The officials changed the game three times and all of them were in favor of the Titans.

pwhittemore wrote:

Two huge drops by Chiefs WRs in 4th. Alex gets a big first down and it’s called back on a phantom hold call. It’s like the Steelers game...you can’t put your finger on it: alex didn’t loose it...he didn’t win it though.

One was a bad drop. One throw coulda been better.

It's NOT Smith's fault. He's good enough to be a Super Bowl QB.

But his inability to make a spectacular play when things break down, to me, is a KILLER. It's the reason I wanted Mahomes this year. Mahomes may be a flop, but he can do the spectacular, so let's see if he can also do the routine. We KNOW what Smith is. Smith is a QB who, when the defense can bring the house and get Smith back-pedaling or moving sideways, the play is usually over. Smith's legs bail him out but never his arm. It's a big issue in Playoff football.

Jan 06 2018 8:36 pm
Sparko offline

Three injured receivers mattered.*  I take issue with the spear tackling that injured Kelce.  I keep hearing that this is legal, but he led with helmet.  They might as well end football forever if spear tackling is allowable.
Probably received a bounty.
* Connelly, Thomas and Kelce.

Last edited by Sparko (Jan 06 2018 8:38 pm)

Wise men still seek Him.  Because Jesus is a liberal progressive.

Alex is not the issue and to think Mahones could lead this team to anything more than a loss at Gillette is funny.

Chiefs defense ranked in the bottom fourth of the league.

If Mahomes had played tonight and Chris Jones and Travis Kelce couldn’t play the 2nd half, we woulda lost.

Mahomes is the future—it was forced by the trade last year. We need Conley to become the guy on the other side, need Berry and Ware to return to health, and need linebacker and safety and corner help.

Injuries were not kind to the Chiefs this year.

Sparko wrote:

Three injured receivers mattered.*  I take issue with the spear tackling that injured Kelce.  I keep hearing that this is legal, but he led with helmet.  They might as well end football forever if spear tackling is allowable.
Probably received a bounty.
* Connelly, Thomas and Kelce.

It’s football. It wasn’t a spear tackle, the guy went low bc that’s what you have to do. The other defender tackled Kelce before the other guy started his tackle.

It’s football. It’s dangerous sometimes. We just lost maybe a top 3 important player at the wrong time.

Elvis Grbac or Alex Smith?

ELVIS GRBAC, January, 1998:
24/37, 260 yards, 1 TD, O INT, 22 Rush yds, 4 sacks, 94.4 Rating
LAST DRIVE OF GAME, NEEDING A TD TO WIN: Started at KC 17. Marched team down to Denver 28. Last 4 plays: Complete Pass 1 yd, Complete Pass 3 yds, Complete Pass 4 yds, Incomplete pass to Dawson to end game.

ALEX SMITH, January, 2018:
24/33, 264 yards, 2 TD, O INT, 13 Rush yds, 4 sacks, 116.2 Rating
LAST DRIVE OF GAME, NEEDING A FG TO WIN: Started at KC 27. Marched team down to Tennessee 45. Last 4 plays: Rush Kareem Hunt 1 yd, Incomplete Pass, Sack, Incomplete pass to Wilson to end game.

Well almost.
You forgot this play:

1st and 10 at KC 40
(5:20 - 4th) (Shotgun) A.Smith right end pushed ob at TEN 42 for 18 yards (J.Cyprien). PENALTY on KC-D.Harris, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at TEN 49.

Tennessee 42 1st and 10.
Need 5-7 yards to get into FG range.

Second-half offensive stats
Team    Points scored    Yards gained    First downs
Chiefs    0    41    3
Titans    19    270    18
Source: NFL.com

"Do not go gentle into that good night
Old age should burn and rave at the close of day."
Dylan Thomas

Geezer wrote:

Second-half offensive stats
Team    Points scored    Yards gained    First downs
Chiefs    0    41    3
Titans    19    270    18
Source: NFL.com

I've never seen a team that was so bipolar as this team.  First half looked like they could go undefeated.  2nd half team would barely beat ku.  It's inexcusable.  Sutton need's to go and I think it's about time for reid to go.  This is two big leads he has lost in playoff games.  17 point lead starting the 2nd half and the leagues leading rusher gets 4 carries?

Kelce.
He's that big a deal to our offense.

Injuries happen. Offense can't totally fall apart because you lose a tight end.

I'm a Alex lover. He has to be traded or released or his contract has to be redone.
I think Reid is a good coach, but I hate his playcalling. The formations are what drive me crazy. I can tell by the formation what the play is going to be. Empty backfield, pass. Sherman in, run. Like KU playing Bragg at fullback, everyone knows it's a run behind him.
Remember the old bootleg, Greene fakes to Holmes, then throws the drag to Tony?

vmlb wrote:

I think Reid is a good coach, but I hate his playcalling. The formations are what drive me crazy. I can tell by the formation what the play is going to be. Empty backfield, pass. Sherman in, run.

Do we yet know if Reid reverted, yesterday, back to being the primary/only play-caller? When I saw that damn play sheet in his face I wondered why he seemed to be changing what had been working. I had the impression Nagy might have been more unpredictable. Or maybe more in tune with Alex and the offense. Perhaps Andy couldn't give up play-calling duties in the critical playoff game. And maybe that's why clock management...or managing the flow of the game in the 2nd half...wasn't great.

Chiefs have lots of legit excuses. Not having Chris Jones in the 2nd half really sucked. Nunez-Roches got hurt against Denver. Obviously, the DJ no-fumble on Mariota was absolute B.S. Mariota getting his own carom was unlucky.

STILL...inexscusable.

I'd be okay if Reid got canned. Of course, NO WAY that will happen. So we'll have to settle for Sutton likely getting canned. And hope that Mahomes, along with (hopefully) 3 or 4 new starters resulting from Alex's money and draft pick, will add enough new skill variety to the 2018 Chiefs.

pwhittemore wrote:

Kelce.
He's that big a deal to our offense.

Why were we able to score before halftime without kelce?  I get that it was a 2 minute drill but come one.  Even without kelce, you give your running back more than 4 carries when you have the lead.

pwhittemore wrote:

Well almost.
You forgot this play:

1st and 10 at KC 40
(5:20 - 4th) (Shotgun) A.Smith right end pushed ob at TEN 42 for 18 yards (J.Cyprien). PENALTY on KC-D.Harris, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at TEN 49.

Tennessee 42 1st and 10.
Need 5-7 yards to get into FG range.

Pretty sure it was still 1st down and 9 after this play, right? If so, that penalty wasn't as much of a killer as you're making it out to be. IMO

Last edited by Rockchalker5 (Jan 07 2018 8:34 pm)

Erased an 18 yard gain putting Chiefs within 5 yards of FG range.

pwhittemore wrote:

Erased an 18 yard gain putting Chiefs within 5 yards of FG range.

You're right. That penalty hurt Smith & the Chiefs greatly. But Smith still had a 1st & 9 at the Tennessee 45. In 4 downs, Smith and the offense gained 1 yard.

KUSportsDotNet is not affiliated with the University of Kansas or Kansas Athletics
Views expressed are not endorsed by KU or KUAD
Copyright ©2016 | Stats | @KUSportsDotNet