Re: Alex Smith or Pat Mahomes?

jfish26 wrote:

After watching Nick Foles last night...I'm very glad the Chiefs moved Smith when they did, for what they did.  Watch the Eagles get less for Foles than the Chiefs did for Smith.

You're probably right, but if I was any team looking for a veteran QB, I'd take Foles over Smith.

Foles is only 29. And he's 2 inches taller than Smith. And he looked pretty unflappable on the biggest stage.

Feb 06 2018 10:05 am
Vega offline

I think foles lucked out with Pat’s D

Pats bench their starting cornerback ( very likely their best cornerback ) because Bill is set in his ways.
Eagles line did an excellent job protecting Foles but he played out of his mind.
But how do explain his off seasons in Philly ( his last one ) and St Louis? I don't think Foles is a safe bet like Alex.

pwhittemore wrote:

Pats bench their starting cornerback ( very likely their best cornerback ) because Bill is set in his ways.
Eagles line did an excellent job protecting Foles but he played out of his mind.
But how do explain his off seasons in Philly ( his last one ) and St Louis? I don't think Foles is a safe bet like Alex.

The Super Bowl wasn't the only great post-season game Foles played.

I like the guy. Like how he carries himself. Like his confidence. 4 years younger than Smith, I'd take him over Alex in a heart beat.

But it's all moot to me....I'd rather have Mahomes than either.

No doubt he had a great postseason.
There's just more evidence that points that Alex won't tank your season and can get you wins.

Smith is worth so much more than Foles over the next couple of years. This is silly.

"...in my opinion, the most prestigious chair in all of college basketball." -Bill Self

And unfortunately there is also evidence that Alex won't win you games in the post season too...

Holidaysmore - 2005

CrimsonNBlue wrote:

Smith is worth so much more than Foles over the next couple of years. This is silly.

Smith worth "so much more" than Foles the next couple years?! I have an opinion what the silly comment is.

The overreaction to Foles is very predictable. I've never believed that a Super Bowl win alone makes you a great QB. Winning that game does not throw away everything else that Foles has done in his career that suggests he's a borderline starter.

In baseball, I'd call him a AAAA player. A fringe guy. But currently, given the lack of quality QB starters in the NFL, he would probably be an upgrade for a handful of teams. The Redskins are not included in that group.

Rockchalker5 wrote:

I've never believed that a Super Bowl win alone makes you a great QB. Winning that game does not throw away everything else that Foles has done in his career that suggests he's a borderline starter.

I agree generally. Foles can't be labeled a great QB because of one win. But I think it's also fair to say he played back-to-back great post-season games, including the Super Bowl. There have been many super-winning QB's who didn't play near to the lever that Foles just did.

Foles went 1-5 in his first year, playing for Philadelphia. Since then, the only knock on the limited games he's played was going 4-7 with the Rams in 2015...who I think most people would put more blame on Jeff Fisher.

I wouldn't take Foles over many starting NFL QB's, but I'd take him over Alex Smith. I think they're very similar players, but I like Foles' seeming more willingness to take chances throwing downfield.

And obviously, going forward, Foles now knows he won a Super Bowl. Like Eli, if Foles gets another team to the playoffs, he's gonna feel capable of making another run. Conversely, I think if Alex ever again takes a team to the playoffs, Alex is gonna have some bad losses in the back of his mind.

Last edited by RonKelloggFan (Feb 06 2018 12:12 pm)

I'll listen to the argument about keeping Foles and moving on from Smith last year. Not because I think Foles is better, but because of salary cap implications. More and more I'm believing that unless you have one of the few the elite QBs, you go a cheaper route.

Ultimately I think making Foles your guy and trading Smith before last season would have been a very bold and risky move. In the end, I think the Chiefs have managed their QB situation correctly. They drafted a guy at the correct time, they gave Smith one more shot at a deep playoff run, it didn't work out so now they cashed in on him via trade. No onward with the rook on a cheap contract for a few years and see what happens.

Not affiliated with KU or KUAD
Copyright ©2013-2018 | Stats | Contact