Re: 6 Scholarships

CrimsonNBlue wrote:

The full quote is a lot better than Galloway's clip.

But, to your point, I don't know what expectation was irrational and unrealistic?  To win this league when you were 94% to do so?  I don't think it is at all.  To play better than we have the last 3 weeks? That's also an even more fair expectation.

I sense a little panic from Bill in those quotes--or at least, he's coming to grips with not winning 14 as much as the rest of us are.

There's nothing irrational or unrealistic in expecting to win the league when you've won it thirteen times in a row, you expect to have the best roster, you have the best coach and you have the best home court.

"Walking on the beach this morning, doing a little thinking when I saw footprints in the sand.  Reminded me of the poem Footprints in the Sand."  John Vincent Calipari, 8/14/14

NDballer13 wrote:
PhDhawk wrote:

Self is all about "win now" and much less about "win in the future" in terms of how he coaches in games.

Kansas currently doesn't have a share of first place solely because Self chose to coach a game with a "win in the future" thinking.

No one is 100% one thing or the other. But on the spectrum, overall, he's much closer to the win now end.

Sit down, be humble.

*Voted Greatest Poster on kusports.net - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Illinoisjayhawk wrote:

And playing jamari wasn't "at the expense of the team".

It was at the expense of cliffs draft stock. That's it. What's cliffs excuse now a few years later for never developing? Can't blame it on jamari. He just wasn't as good as his ranking in HS.

Playing worse players because they have a nice HS ranking and are athletic would be "at the expense of the team."

And why do people always think athleticism and length always = basketball potential? Unrelated to any of this, but SDS for example has "potential" because he can jump high, but mitch doesn't? Even though mitch appears to be significantly better at basketball that SDS?

pretty sure Mitch jumps higher than De Sousa.

Sit down, be humble.

I think he truly believed he could talk Dok into making the free throws. I think he figured he could give him a wink, calm him down, and he'd make half the free throws.

Last edited by Illinoisjayhawk (Feb 12 2018 4:09 pm)

PhDhawk wrote:
NDballer13 wrote:
PhDhawk wrote:

Self is all about "win now" and much less about "win in the future" in terms of how he coaches in games.

Kansas currently doesn't have a share of first place solely because Self chose to coach a game with a "win in the future" thinking.

No one is 100% one thing or the other. But on the spectrum, overall, he's much closer to the win now end.

Generally, I would agree with you on that.  No doubt.  That Oklahoma game is still just sour to me.

Pretty nice to know that when our HC screws up his personnel we're still a 2 seed and control our own destiny in the conference. How good will we be if he gets his roster right?

I'm not your steppin' stone

Agreed.

Like I've said 25 times (although people like to ignore so they can meltdown over any post that's not sunshine and lollipops)....if this is what we call a down year then we are spoiled and I'll take it.

Still doesn't mean Self shouldn't take a little heat for it while it's ongoing.

Still doesn't mean you can't acknowledge that this roster without Self would likely be a 5 seed.

He gets paid 3mil a year..he can deserve praise and criticism..sometimes even simultaneously.

People really get triggered easily when you say anything negative about Self. Even if it's not really that negative. The man can do no wrong.

Nesmith wrote:

Pretty nice to know that when our HC screws up his personnel we're still a 2 seed and control our own destiny in the conference. How good will we be if he gets his roster right?

A) We shouldn't be a #2 seed at this point
B) The season isn't over yet. I'd be surprised if we earned a seed as high as a #2 seed in a month.

twocoach wrote:
Nesmith wrote:

A) We shouldn't be a #2 seed at this point
B) The season isn't over yet. I'd be surprised if we earned a seed as high as a #2 seed in a month.

giphy.gif

Sit down, be humble.

Newell used analytics to restate what I said on Sunday: it would take a major collapse for this team to drop below a 3 seed.  And, as #6 overall, a 2 seed is the best bet right now.

"...in my opinion, the most prestigious chair in all of college basketball." -Bill Self

Unfortunately, KU's best wins are all falling apart. Kentucky is dropping like a rock, our win @TCU is now a better RPI win than our win @West Virginia and Texas A&M is tied for 8th in the SEC.

twocoach wrote:

Unfortunately, KU's best wins are all falling apart. Kentucky is dropping like a rock, our win @TCU is now a better RPI win than our win @West Virginia and Texas A&M is tied for 8th in the SEC.

giphy.gif

Sit down, be humble.

twocoach wrote:

Let the committee know.

"...in my opinion, the most prestigious chair in all of college basketball." -Bill Self

CrimsonNBlue wrote:
twocoach wrote:

Let the committee know.

The same committee that had #2 in the nation Michigan State as a #3 seed?

twocoach wrote:
CrimsonNBlue wrote:
twocoach wrote:

Let the committee know.

The same committee that had #2 in the nation Michigan State as a #3 seed?

The same committee that makes the fucking bracket.

Lots of hoops to go. I hope we turn it around soon and actually earn a good seed. Right now I think we're getting the benefit of the doubt.

twocoach wrote:

Lots of hoops to go. I hope we turn it around soon and actually earn a good seed. Right now I think we're getting the benefit of the doubt.

That's not how it works. That's not how the committee works.  The last 2 bracket reveals and every recent bracket have proved that.

Our resume right now, meaning wins, is a solid 2 seed.  Closer to a 1 than a 3, in fact.  Since losses don't erase wins, it's hard to see what 6 games is going to change.

If you want to argue with Lunardi, fine, but the committee has revealed and we're looking at a 3 at worst.

Feb 21 2018 8:21 am
Tim offline

PhDhawk wrote:

Same with Cunliffe, if hes got a lot to learn, are we teaching him what he needs to learn? He's so far behind that Self is forced to continue to play Vick when he's playing "selfishly"...I mean Sam's been here for 14 months, why isn't he farther along, I think that's on Cunliffe, but also on the coaches.

“It’s hard, man,” Cunliffe said in a postgame radio interview Monday. “I mean, I’ve been here for a year and I still struggle. There’s a lot of things you’ve got to pick up and a lot of things you’ve got to pick up fast...”

Despite the limited minutes, Cunliffe indicated he’s staying positive and hopes to have more responsibilities next season, if not sooner.

“I think I’m just going to keep, if my number’s called, coming in and doing my best, (and) if not, just continue to grow in practice,” Cunliffe said. “When it is my turn to be one of those guys, just be ready to step right in. I think at some point soon here, whether it’s this year or next year, I think I’m going to have a bigger role and I think I’ll be ready to take that on.”

http://www.cjonline.com/sports/20180220 … o-de-sousa

Last edited by Tim (Feb 21 2018 9:05 am)

Fill it to the rim, with Tim.

He dunked all over those Sooners.

Not affiliated with KU or KUAD
Copyright ©2013-2018 | Stats | Contact