#126

Re: The official KU/Adidas thread

It'd be nice to hear a statement from Self.

Tired of reading & hearing the national & local media paint a doom & gloom, overly-negative scenario that I'm buying. At all.

#127

Re: The official KU/Adidas thread

RonKelloggFan wrote:

It'd be nice to hear a statement from Self.

Tired of reading & hearing the national & local media paint a doom & gloom, overly-negative scenario that I'm buying. At all.

He already made a statement, and in some ways, the company-line BS is more annoying than the media analysis.




"...in my opinion, the most prestigious chair in all of college basketball." -Bill Self

#128

Re: The official KU/Adidas thread

CrimsonNBlue wrote:
RonKelloggFan wrote:

It'd be nice to hear a statement from Self.

Tired of reading & hearing the national & local media paint a doom & gloom, overly-negative scenario that I'm buying. At all.

He already made a statement, and in some ways, the company-line BS is more annoying than the media analysis.


You mean the one 2 or 3 days ago?

Wish he'd grant an interview. Or do a presser.

I'd guess Self WANTS to talk about it, but is advised to say nothing.

#129

Re: The official KU/Adidas thread

why would self be advised to say nothing?




Stop waving our wheat!

#130

Re: The official KU/Adidas thread

tmcats wrote:

why would self be advised to say nothing?

Because if he was unaware of it why would he sit and publicly speculate about it to the media? No good can come from that.

#131

Re: The official KU/Adidas thread

That should be easily taught in an ethics class.

Last edited by NewtonHawk11 (Apr 13 2018 1:23 pm)




"I felt like Deion!" Aqib Talib
"He makes plays you can’t coach, and he makes plays that look like he’s never been coached."
-Self on Tyshawn

#132

Re: The official KU/Adidas thread

Nothing can be gained for KU by Self doing anything except staying as vague and noncommittal as possible.  Obviously he knows a great deal more than has been ever made public (you think he was blindsided by the Preston details?  I don't).  There's no reason to give anyone any string to pull on.




"Walking on the beach this morning, doing a little thinking when I saw footprints in the sand.  Reminded me of the poem Footprints in the Sand."  John Vincent Calipari, 8/14/14

#133

Re: The official KU/Adidas thread

Loose lips sink ships.

My hope is that same philosophy is utilized by SDS and company. Deny it happened. Hope there isn't a paper trail. If there is a paper trail and they know it, then just sit tight and be quiet.

#134

Re: The official KU/Adidas thread

Illinoisjayhawk wrote:

Loose lips sink ships.

My hope is that same philosophy is utilized by SDS and company. Deny it happened. Hope there isn't a paper trail. If there is a paper trail and they know it, then just sit tight and be quiet.

I mean, I don't think the question is whether evidence of payments (if they happened) exists, it's whether the NCAA can get it.  Which, of course, brings up the gross impropriety of the FBI carrying the NCAA's water here.  There's a good reason trade associations don't have the investigatory tools and authority of the highest primary law enforcement arm of the federal government.




"Walking on the beach this morning, doing a little thinking when I saw footprints in the sand.  Reminded me of the poem Footprints in the Sand."  John Vincent Calipari, 8/14/14

#135

Re: The official KU/Adidas thread

Well ya, what in the world does the De Sousa camp have to gain by talking?

They don't need or have to be talking to anyone except KU compliance.




"...in my opinion, the most prestigious chair in all of college basketball." -Bill Self

#136

Re: The official KU/Adidas thread

CNB - Not sure they are "bound" by the University to speak with the Compliance department. Anyone know for sure? Also, are we talking about the same compliance department that was completely incompetent in regards to Preston and/or lied to the tax payers of the state of Kansas and those who pay tuition to the University?




"Dirty Feathers" - tcat 2/7/17

#137

Re: The official KU/Adidas thread

From the indictment, I drew the conclusion that Kansas is somewhat rare in requiring families/guardians to sign that they know of no reason why Junior could be deemed ineligible and that they will keep it that way. Is that truly rare? That seems like a no-brainer and something to require every year with the required refresher course.

#138

Re: The official KU/Adidas thread

So...are these payments really just free money, or are they loans? The last round of this, previous to this, was about money being loaned, I mean, EJ was alleged to have made a payment on a loan. Is it just a payment to attend a school and becomes a loan if you go somewhere else?




Sit down, be humble.

*Voted Greatest Poster on kusports.net - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

#139

Re: The official KU/Adidas thread

I have really changed my mind over the past year as this whole thing has come to light about the NCAA's willingness to do what is best for the athlete. The NBA is only slightly better (but what is good about being better than idiots).

As much as I think L. Ball is a egocentric nut there is a reason he gets traction. The guys that play realize how stupid the rules are and how disadvantages they are against the ones making the money off of their skills.




“Kansas can always win a championship. It has nothing to do with me,” De Sousa said. “I look forward to coming there and doing what I can to help us win.”

I think I like this guy's not about me attitude.

#140

Apr 15 2018 2:18 am
HandC offline
Posts: 2,506

Re: The official KU/Adidas thread

jfish26 wrote:
ousdahl wrote:

In that regard, shouldn’t the burden be on the NCAA to come out and say hey we know we cleared him in January but you guys better hold him out going forward?

In a fairer world, I guess.

If the NCAA is going to have a function in clearing players, whether academically or otherwise, it would make sense that NCAA clearance gives you, the school, a safe harbor from past misdeeds, unless you caused them or were complicit in concealing them.  Put differently - once the NCAA clears a guy, it should require pretty fucking nefarious action on the part of a school to have the school threatened.


^^^

They cleared him. They should bear the responsibility if the school isn’t involved. Of course we know they don’t.

#141

Re: The official KU/Adidas thread

tmcats wrote:

why would self be advised to say nothing?

Gee, maybe because it involves an ongoing FBI investigation?

#142

Re: The official KU/Adidas thread

twocoach wrote:
tmcats wrote:

why would self be advised to say nothing?

Gee, maybe because it involves an ongoing FBI investigation?

There are probably a dozen reasons it makes sense for Self to stay mum (and the administration to stay straight vanilla).

Certainly, the existence of an ongoing federal investigation is one of them.  Another is that, I don't know how to say it really, but it's not a coincidence to me that the superseding indictment seemed to go out of its way to paint a picture of KU knowing nothing (for instance, none of our assistants are presently on house arrest having posted bond).

As less-than-intellectually-perfectly-honest as it is, clearly KU's path through this mess is keyed heavily on (a) holding Preston out when KU had a notion of something being wrong; (b) not knowing anything about the De Sousa payments (if any), and (c) being a not-quite-as-bad actor compared to the rest.  Public comments only give people strings to pull at, and keep KU's name in the news.  Best to just stay quiet/bland and let things unfold as they will.




"Walking on the beach this morning, doing a little thinking when I saw footprints in the sand.  Reminded me of the poem Footprints in the Sand."  John Vincent Calipari, 8/14/14

#143

Re: The official KU/Adidas thread

jfish26 wrote:

- ...it's not a coincidence to me that the superseding indictment seemed to go out of its way to paint a picture of KU knowing nothing (for instance, none of our assistants are presently on house arrest having posted bond).

- As less-than-intellectually-perfectly-honest as it is...

- Best to just stay quiet/bland and let things unfold as they will.


- I agree. People writing click-bait stories on KU like to pretend how shocking & serious it is that the FBI is breathing down KU's neck, yet don't think it's equally curious & of-note that the FBI's indictment inserts that the plan of the alleged money-funneling included keeping everything on the down low so nobody at KU would know about it.

- I get what you're saying, but I don't think we know yet if KU's being dishonest in any way.

- I agree. Though if this drags on for another 6-12 months, which it almost certainly will, Self will have to say something eventually, even it's just "I can't say anything about this matter".

#144

Re: The official KU/Adidas thread

RonKelloggFan wrote:
jfish26 wrote:

- ...it's not a coincidence to me that the superseding indictment seemed to go out of its way to paint a picture of KU knowing nothing (for instance, none of our assistants are presently on house arrest having posted bond).

- As less-than-intellectually-perfectly-honest as it is...

- Best to just stay quiet/bland and let things unfold as they will.


- I agree. People writing click-bait stories on KU like to pretend how shocking & serious it is that the FBI is breathing down KU's neck, yet don't think it's equally curious & of-note that the FBI's indictment inserts that the plan of the alleged money-funneling included keeping everything on the down low so nobody at KU would know about it.

- I get what you're saying, but I don't think we know yet if KU's being dishonest in any way.

- I agree. Though if this drags on for another 6-12 months, which it almost certainly will, Self will have to say something eventually, even it's just "I can't say anything about this matter".

On the second piece - I don't think KU is being factually dishonest in any way.  I just think it's intellectually dishonest for KU or any school to be regarded as a "victim" here (because I think it is fundamentally intellectually dishonest to suggest a federal crime has actually occurred here, at least in the manner the superseding indictment suggests).

But, as long as the FBI and NCAA want to pursue the fiction that the facts alleged do constitute federal crimes, then KU absolutely has to play along with the (intellectually dishonest) narrative.




"Walking on the beach this morning, doing a little thinking when I saw footprints in the sand.  Reminded me of the poem Footprints in the Sand."  John Vincent Calipari, 8/14/14

#145

Re: The official KU/Adidas thread

Laws can be interpreted and manipulated in all sorts of ways.
You know that.
So when you say 'fiction', this 'fiction' could turn out to be a 'fact' for the people involved.

#146

Re: The official KU/Adidas thread

pwhittemore wrote:

Laws can be interpreted and manipulated in all sorts of ways.
You know that.
So when you say 'fiction', this 'fiction' could turn out to be a 'fact' for the people involved.

It's just - I would just be very careful of casually accepting that laws have been broken in the first place.  Criminalizing violations of private rules where there is a merely some connection to public funds is a pretty dark path to go down.




"Walking on the beach this morning, doing a little thinking when I saw footprints in the sand.  Reminded me of the poem Footprints in the Sand."  John Vincent Calipari, 8/14/14

#147

Re: The official KU/Adidas thread

wtf?

John Martin
@JohnMartin929
Keelon Lawson on show does not rule out a return from Dedric and KJ Lawson to Memphis depending on what happens at Kansas with FBI.

http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/tale-t … alks-memp/




Back to back to back to back to back to back to back to back to back to back to back to back to back to back Big 12 Champs!

#148

Re: The official KU/Adidas thread

Would be absolutely foolish.




"...in my opinion, the most prestigious chair in all of college basketball." -Bill Self

#149

Re: The official KU/Adidas thread

Unless we get hammered. Which, why would we at this point?




"...in my opinion, the most prestigious chair in all of college basketball." -Bill Self

#150

Re: The official KU/Adidas thread

Still not the Lawson's biggest fans off the bat.

Not affiliated with KU or KUAD
Copyright ©2013-2018 | Stats | Contact