The Birds

Little basterds keep building their nests on the tops of our support columns. I keep knocking them down.

I've tried spraying bug spray (the column tops, not the birds), bathroom cleaner, and whatever hazardous household sprays I can find. Doesn't seem to stop them.

Defense. Rebounds.

Re: The Birds

Get a cat?

Got one. We don't let her outside.

Yeah, I know.

Defense. Rebounds.

Sound machines seem to be the googles answer.

"Do not go gentle into that good night
Old age should burn and rave at the close of day."
Dylan Thomas

Put a decoy predator up there.

Like a rubber snake. Or one of those owls.

Or somehow cover/fill the space they nest. Difficult to say without knowing the space.

Or worst case just ask pwhitt to borrow his shotgun.

assuming they didn’t take it away when he brought it to campus.

I'm thinking little fake owls. Nothing else seems to work.

The one year I let them build their nests, we had robins in the back and these little super-fast birds in front. Not sure what they were.
Robins were fine,  I grilled out, hung out just a few feet from their nest with no issues. Until the baby robins started to learn to fly, then mom and dad robin got aggressive.

The little fast birds in the front yard were extremely territorial from the get go. They would dive bomb anyone in the front yard or even walking on the sidewalk. Along with about 6 of their friends. I couldn't cut the grass or get the mail.

Both left giant mud and bird poop messes.  We're putting our house on the market in a week or so, can't have the little basterds dive bombing potential buyers.

Defense. Rebounds.

Where ya movin 99?

bad bird!

Last edited by ousdahl (Apr 15 2018 1:01 pm)

Getting a smaller house here in Lex. Ours is too big for us, daughters are grown and moved/moving out.

My buddy, old Tom, had a baker's rack with some flowers next to his front door. Some blue jays built a nest there. He wanted to get rid of it and the birds, but his wife wasn't having it. They got super aggressive. They would dive bomb anyone in the yard. Tom had enough, put a metal mixing bowl on his head before he went out to get the morning paper. One of them broke a beak on it.

Defense. Rebounds.

jhawks99 wrote:

They would dive bomb anyone in the front yard or even walking on the sidewalk.

Dive bombing birds      +   

=   afternoon of exercise and fun.

Last edited by Naismith (Apr 14 2018 10:32 pm)

In Self we trust..

Song birds go through a period of  being territorial and aggressive during the spring. They should mellow out after that.
There are federal and international laws against killing song birds. However, starlings and house swallows are exempt so do whatever you want to destroy them.

Don't kill 'em.  They're just doing as Mother Nature dictates.

It's their world, man.  We just live in it, as their stewards.

imo, anyway...

Please, be reasonable.

I'm not killing any little birdies. Just trying to discourage them from taking over my yard.

Defense. Rebounds.

"Do not go gentle into that good night
Old age should burn and rave at the close of day."
Dylan Thomas

Cool, thanks. I shoulda thought about using the google.

Defense. Rebounds.

Mirrors and other reflective stuff helps.

"Walking on the beach this morning, doing a little thinking when I saw footprints in the sand.  Reminded me of the poem Footprints in the Sand."  John Vincent Calipari, 8/14/14

Birds can be very determined.  There are some sparrows that keep building a nest in the back of my house in the gutter and every time it rains it washes out.  Very next day, they are back building in the exact same spot.  It's kind of amusing...hehe.

Real men ride trikes

jfish26 wrote:

Mirrors and other reflective stuff helps.

This could do the opposite and get certain birds more riled up.
Birds are dumb.
We had a robin at our house last season, every morning, dive bombing into our glass window. Apparently he thought his reflection was a rival bird in his territory. He never won.

Had to put towels over the windows for a couple weeks.

We had a cardinal that kept at a window and finally got into the house and upstairs where he started diving at the glass French doors to the screened porch. He knocked himself to the floor, right in front of the old Golden Retriever--like 2 inches from him. This dog had never been hunting in his life, don't know that he even ever noticed that birds existed, but he does what a Golden is supposed to--he picked it up.

I'm yelling at the dog and the bird is flapping around in his mouth, so he dropped it. I managed to get it onto the adjacent, non-screened porch where it sat for awhile and then flew away.

Politicians must choose--our children or the NRA.

What’s your favorite bird?

Mine’s osprey.

Lucky fuckers just go fishing all day every day.

(1) #23

ousdahl wrote:

What’s your favorite bird?

In Self we trust..

and the peregrine falcon

In Self we trust..

Bald Eagle, you commies.

Defense. Rebounds.

Not affiliated with KU or KUAD