MJ at Allen Fieldhouse

I was cleaning out my old bedroom last night and ran across these, and since it's the offseason... 

Yes I know the quality sucks, but it's the best I have.   Summer of 97 I was 16 and a huge Chicago Bulls fan as well as a Jayhawk fan, so this couldn't have worked out better.

I don't remember when I got in line the morning the tickets went on sale, but I stood in line 8.5 hours.  I had a baseball game in KC probably close to 7 that night, so I'm assuming I got there 8 or 9 am. I started out where the sign is out on the street, and very slowly made it around to the ticket office.  That was before cell phones, and I was alone most of the day, so I have no clue what I did to pass time. Might have read a paper.

I believe you could buy 10 tickets or so, so we were getting pretty worried after standing in line the entire day that we might not get tickets because of scalpers but it all worked out. I was at the very top on the side, up by the windows.

Pippen didn't play, but Jordan of course did and Rodman as well I believe.

Anyone else go?

ry2sUi5.jpg?2

ubosg2Y.jpg?2

NCsX4Yq.jpg?2

HQosfpf.jpg?2

sO47YCh.jpg?2

TyV6zYE.jpg?2

5S24DhX.jpg?2

ueS5wa3.jpg?2

TGTB6CX.jpg?2

"The majority of Kansas fans don't give a flip about playing Missouri." -  William Self

Re: MJ at Allen Fieldhouse

Why was the game played in Allen is the only question I have, lol.

My guess is Roy got the hookup and was able to get the game played in Allen.

"The majority of Kansas fans don't give a flip about playing Missouri." -  William Self

You kinda buried the lead though, you got to see Detlef Schrempf live...lucky.

Sit down, be humble.

*Voted Greatest Poster on kusports.net - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

I remember this.
I didn't attend but pretty sweet.

Seeing those pictures remind me how much I hated the yellow state in the middle of the court. So gross and North Carolina-esque.

"I felt like Deion!" Aqib Talib
"He makes plays you can’t coach, and he makes plays that look like he’s never been coached."
-Self on Tyshawn

NewtonHawk11 wrote:

Seeing those pictures remind me how much I hated the yellow state in the middle of the court. So gross and North Carolina-esque.

yeah, it looks dumb.

Sit down, be humble.

But in regards to the original post, that seems pretty cool. NBA teams used to play pre-season games in college arenas all the time back then. OKC travels to Wichita every year and then the game in Sprint every year.

"He makes plays you can’t coach, and he makes plays that look like he’s never been coached."
-Self on Tyshawn

I used to like it.  I hated how big the Jayhawk was when it first went in. I was fine with the change, I like the Jayhawk, I just thought it was too big.

Defense. Rebounds.

I liked the Jayhawk.
Should be 20% smaller.
( some sort of penis reference )

LVCHawk wrote:

I was cleaning out my old bedroom last night and ran across these, and since it's the offseason... 

Yes I know the quality sucks, but it's the best I have.   Summer of 97 I was 16 and a huge Chicago Bulls fan as well as a Jayhawk fan, so this couldn't have worked out better.

I don't remember when I got in line the morning the tickets went on sale, but I stood in line 8.5 hours.  I had a baseball game in KC probably close to 7 that night, so I'm assuming I got there 8 or 9 am. I started out where the sign is out on the street, and very slowly made it around to the ticket office.  That was before cell phones, and I was alone most of the day, so I have no clue what I did to pass time. Might have read a paper.

I believe you could buy 10 tickets or so, so we were getting pretty worried after standing in line the entire day that we might not get tickets because of scalpers but it all worked out. I was at the very top on the side, up by the windows.

Pippen didn't play, but Jordan of course did and Rodman as well I believe.

Anyone else go?

https://i.imgur.com/ry2sUi5.jpg?2

https://i.imgur.com/ubosg2Y.jpg?2

https://i.imgur.com/NCsX4Yq.jpg?2

https://i.imgur.com/HQosfpf.jpg?2

https://i.imgur.com/sO47YCh.jpg?2

https://i.imgur.com/TyV6zYE.jpg?2

https://i.imgur.com/5S24DhX.jpg?2

https://i.imgur.com/ueS5wa3.jpg?2

https://i.imgur.com/TGTB6CX.jpg?2

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/1997/jun/1 … ion_a_hot/

Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure you didn't see Rodman. If I am not mistaken there was contract hiccup right before the 97 season and Rodman was pretty sick.
As far as why the two teams faced each other on October 11th, my guess is Karl and Roy and Roy and MJ were/are close.
Other than that - I couldn't give a decent guess. Hopefully someone else can/will chime in.

"Dirty Feathers" - tcat 2/7/17

I liked the Kansas flag better than a nasty yellow state outline.

-Self on Tyshawn

Ah you're right.  I remember Pippen being gone, and now that you say it the Rodman contract situation is correct.  When we bought the tickets we of course didn't know what exactly the team would look like so it was disappointing not seeing the entire team, but Jordan was there so that's the reason everyone came anyways.

Thanks for the link Gutman

Thank you for the trip down memory lane.  I was also there--11 years old and huge MJ fan.  I love how your pictures are about the same quality of mine--consumer cameras were so bad back then comparatively.  I seem to remember MJ shooting FT's poorly because of 16,000 camera flashes.

Some things I remember: Tickets were so cheap. I also remember there being a little bit of speculation that MJ would not be playing in the game.  This, obviously would have been a huge disappointment.  However, I recall thinking that the Scottie, the Glove and Kemp would be a good consolation.  But, it was just mere days before that Kemp was traded for Vin Baker, who ended up playing.  MJ didn't play all that well but still had around 25 points.

I don't recall there being any sort of KU connection.  I think, as some have said, this is just something the NBA teams used to do.

"...in my opinion, the most prestigious chair in all of college basketball." -Bill Self

""There must have been 100 cell phones in line," Buchan said, hearing one fan's complaint that his cell phone battery went dead just after the connection was made after an hour's worth of busy signals."

Those cell phones are gonna be everywhere one day

CrimsonNBlue wrote:

Thank you for the trip down memory lane.  I was also there--11 years old and huge MJ fan.  I love how your pictures are about the same quality of mine--consumer cameras were so bad back then comparatively.  I seem to remember MJ shooting FT's poorly because of 16,000 camera flashes.

Some things I remember: Tickets were so cheap. I also remember there being a little bit of speculation that MJ would not be playing in the game.  This, obviously would have been a huge disappointment.  However, I recall thinking that the Scottie, the Glove and Kemp would be a good consolation.  But, it was just mere days before that Kemp was traded for Vin Baker, who ended up playing.  MJ didn't play all that well but still had around 25 points.

I don't recall there being any sort of KU connection.  I think, as some have said, this is just something the NBA teams used to do.

Yeah if you look at that last pic I posted, my ticket is on there, it was 35 bucks.  I don't "think" any of the tickets were much more than that, so yeah, cheap to see Jordan without going to Chicago.

I believe the game was shown locally on TV as well.   I'm not for sure if there was any KU connection, but I'm just assuming since I don't recall any other NBA games at Allen that Roy might have had some kind of UNC connection with Jordan that helped in getting the game there? But I could be wrong.

LVCHawk wrote:

""There must have been 100 cell phones in line," Buchan said, hearing one fan's complaint that his cell phone battery went dead just after the connection was made after an hour's worth of busy signals."

Those cell phones are gonna be everywhere one day

Must not have got the Nokia with battery life of 6 years.

I don’t remember the Kansas flag look. Anyone with a picture?

“Kansas can always win a championship. It has nothing to do with me,” De Sousa said. “I look forward to coming there and doing what I can to help us win.”

I think I like this guy's not about me attitude.

This one?

allen-fieldhouse4.jpg

Thanks I remember it now. I even own that picture. (Brother old age!!)

“Kansas can always win a championship. It has nothing to do with me,” De Sousa said. “I look forward to coming there and doing what I can to help us win.”

I think I like this guy's not about me attitude.

Yeah I like that court design the best.

-Self on Tyshawn

I like that scoreboard best.

pwhitt's prefered way to listen to recorded sound:

$_35.JPG?set_id=2

Sit down, be humble.

That’s what pwhitt keeps that thing around for? Who knew! All this time I thought it was Carlton Bragg’s bong!

Is that a real pic? When did they put James Naismith Court on the baselines? I thought that was fairly recently -- like last 10 to 15 years or so.

Defense. Rebounds.

Not affiliated with KU or KUAD
Copyright ©2013-2018 | Stats | Contact