Re: 2018 NFL Draft - 4/26/18

columbusdjkc wrote:

I don’t think this was a good night for chiefs drafting.

Why? They addressed needs.

Not sure about the Speaks in the 2nd. Mayock seemed to like him. Sounds like Veach felt there was a big drop off with pass rushers after him, hence why he traded up to get him. So that makes sense. But some thinking it was a reach.

Derrick Nnadi in the 3rd I like. Big time run stuffer which the Chiefs desperately need. The last pick Dorian O'Daniel I didn't like at first because I felt we needed secondary help. But it sounds like he's more of a Safety/LB hybrid, even tho he's listed as OLB. He played a ton in coverage at Clemson and covered slot receivers a lot but still plays well against the Run. Some comparisons as a smaller Kam Chancellor.

Last edited by Rockchalker5 (Apr 28 2018 10:48 am)

I’m ignorant on Chiefs’ team needs, but I really hope they come to regret not taking Dorance.

"...in my opinion, the most prestigious chair in all of college basketball." -Bill Self

Yeah I think the consensus is they didn’t really need to trade up for either of their top two targets. Veech explained away the round two trade up. It makes sense I guess but I’ve heard rumor they actually traded up to try and get Jackson and then GB took him which forced their hand.
Not picking up any true DB’s (or corners specifically) in the top 3 rounds seems like a travesty.  Most of the draft analyzers gave them a C on the picks. Time will tell but seemed a little underwhelming to me especially with two trade ups even though they weren’t super costly.

Dorance to his home state. Hope he becomes a monster.  He could be an elite 3rd down guy, but will have to improve quite a bit to be an every down player.

"...in my opinion, the most prestigious chair in all of college basketball." -Bill Self

I think the coaching here really hindered Armstrong, like all our players.  I won't be shocked to see Harris have a great freshman year and then Bowens shitty coaching will take its toll on him.

I think Armstrong could be a very good pass rusher.  It's something the chiefs desperately need, I wish they would have taken him.

Now you're blaming a poor 40 time on the coaching staff?

I'm blaming the coaching staff for everything.  Tell me how the preseason DPOY plays in every game and only gets two sacks.

Ardvark wrote:

I'm blaming the coaching staff for everything.  Tell me how the preseason DPOY plays in every game and only gets two sacks.

How about he wasn't that good?

"Do not go gentle into that good night
Old age should burn and rave at the close of day."
Dylan Thomas

I don't buy that at all.  Cozart is the perfect example.  The coaches here had no fucking clue what they were doing with him.  Granted, Boise is a much better team than ku, but he didn't even look like the same player we saw for 4 years here.  I expect Willis could get some time at VT. 

I get that Armstrong was a point of emphasis for offenses.  But any decent defensive coordinator can scheme around your best player. 

Bowens plan?  Don't have him rush as much as he did his sophomore year.  That's like only calling run plays when you have Aaron Rodgers.

"How about he wasn't that good?" LOL. This football board is the absolute worst.  Dorance was never a stud, he actually sucked!

Ardvark--correct on scheme change to use him in run game more which perhaps gave him more experience to play every down.  Of course, it hurt his behind LOS stats and probably draft position.  Hopefully didn't hold him back as far as player development. Whoever drafted him was doing so with the intention of him playing every game.

Tardvark is to Beaty what Leawood is to Zenger.

“I don’t really see Malik as a point guard,” Self said while talking to PG recruits

Ardvark wrote:

Why was he preseason DPOY? Let me answer that ? for you. It was because of the great coaching he received the previous two years. Same coaches as the last year. You're trying to blame the coaches for lack of success, but fail to give them credit for success. Can't have it both ways.

vmlb wrote:
Ardvark wrote:

Why was he preseason DPOY? Let me answer that ? for you. It was because of the great coaching he received the previous two years. Same coaches as the last year. You're trying to blame the coaches for lack of success, but fail to give them credit for success. Can't have it both ways.

No.  The coaches took him out of positions to disrupt the passing game in favor of helping in the run game.  In a pass heavy league.  And it obviously worked wonders for our defense.

So, the coaches were smart,  and put him position to be successful his first two years.

Chiefs reached multiple times during the draft.
Fine with going for those guys but not loosing draft capital to do so.
Carlton Davis and Isiah Oliver were available late - I guess our staff is sold on Steven Nelson and Kendall Fuller?

I think Amerson, Nelson and Fuller will be guys that will be good for this defense. And I think the staff is hanging their hats on those 3 doing well.

But you also have to get DL help and pressure to have successful cornerback play.  They did that with Speaks and Nnadi on top of getting some guys back from injury like Dee Ford and Dadi Nicholas on the edge.

But also, I am really sold on the guy they drafted in the 6th round. Tremon Smith from Central Arkansas. I think he'll be a guy that could play once he gets the speed of the NFL down. Good talent, and an in your face corner like Peters. His NFL comp is Janoris Jenkins in terms of measurable. Not bad.

I think that O'Daniel guy is going to be pretty good down the road. Perfect Dime LB for today's NFL. Enough speed to cover slots and other players running routes. But also physical enough to come down in the box and make some plays.

Chiefs overall grade for me is a B-. Needed defensive help badly. And I think they got that. Speaks playing all positions along the line, Nnadi at NT is strong and can occupy double teams. O'Daniel and Watts will be good in the box. Smith has a chance to play defensive snaps.

AFC West
Broncos with a B-. Chubb is a stud. Their 2nd round pick, Sutton was probably a big reach.
Chargers with a B. Devon James is really good at S and they got edge rusher Nwosu who can make plays. Will have to replace Phyllis soon.
Raiders with a C-. Drafted 2 Tackles. But didn't address much on defensive side of the ball. Didn't know what their plan was.

"I felt like Deion!" Aqib Talib
"He makes plays you can’t coach, and he makes plays that look like he’s never been coached."
-Self on Tyshawn

Armani Watts is interesting to me, Safety from Texas A&M.

Word is that he fell some due to lackluster testing at NFL combine. Watts said he purposely gained 10 lbs this off season to see if he could get bigger while maintaining his speed. So he thinks that impacted his 40 time, and that he can easily trim back down if he needs to.

But on the field Watts made some big plays for A&M last year. Could be a wildcard.

Dorrance Armstrong is a stud....period. Cowboys are lucky to have him. He was double-teamed much of the 2017 season...

Good article on DA here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl … 97004.html

And here: https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas … rotch-grab

Wise men still seek Him

vmlb wrote:

So, the coaches were smart,  and put him position to be successful his first two years.

We shall see how good the coaching is.  As much as I love Mike Lee, he has a history of not wrapping up.   That's really the only knock against him.  Let's see if the coaches did anything about that.

But about the coaching, how can you say they know what they are doing?  They wouldn't play charlot because he wouldn't change his stance.  They had torneden playing free safety half the tear.  They have zero continuity on offense.  Other than sims, which wide receiver got snaps was just random.  One quarter, Harrell would get snaps.  The next quarter would be Patrick.  The next, some running back playing slot. 

Just admit that Beaty and bowen don't have a fucking clue.

Good write up on Derrick Nnadi. Especially if you like the X's and O's of what goes on in the trenches. Seems like he will be playing on Run Downs immediately.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/5/1 … e-strength

Also, I read today that Seth Keysor of Arrowhead Pride is going to be writing for the Athletic KC. Good for him. He does great work.

Not affiliated with KU or KUAD
Copyright ©2013-2018 | Stats | Contact