Re: NBA Playoffs

Ya maybe. Wouldn't be shocked if he's traded this summer. Especially if they make or win the finals without him.

If you could get Anthony Davis for him, then yes, i'd make that trade, but you'd have to give up more than Kyrie and a draft pick I would think.

Who else would you target?
Giannis ain't being moved.
Leonard has health issues of his own.
You don't need more draft picks.

If i'm Boston, I want to see what Kyrie AND Hayward can do together.
That's why I brought them to Boston.

I just subscribe to the NE Patriots approach that it's better to jettison a guy a year too early rather than a year too late and that there are benefits to the roster as a whole when you jettison high priced players with injury concerns in favor of lower priced players who can actually play for you.

But whatever. I doubt Boston trades him and I expect Boston to be a fantastic team next year if Irving is on board the mentality of their currently productive players.

I find it highly unlikely that hayward gets traded anywhere. brad stevens coached him in college at butler. but. if I were the celtics I would do whatever I had to in order to keep tatum and brown long term.

Rozier is a must keep too. He is not the ridiculously talented 1-on-1 offensive guy that kyrie is. but he is an incredibly good all around point guard who is a perfect fit for boston

Faceass Morningstar

Why are none of these NBA playoff games competitive? I try to like this sport then Houston beats this san Francisco team by 30.

I don't like the term "must win" (unless it's an elimination game, and even then), but Houston pretty much had to play the game of their lives tonight. No fuckin way they wanted to go to the bay down 0-2. GS already got one on the road, so they can't feel too bad about splitting the first two.

Go figure neither game was particularly close, but looks like it'll end up being a really fun series.

thebones wrote:

Why are none of these NBA playoff games competitive? I try to like this sport then Houston beats this san Francisco team by 30.

Nothing worse than wanting to watch a competitive game and seeing a blow out.
Unless it's KU blowing a team out in the tournament - then it's great.

Anyone remember the Bools/Celts series in 2009?

5 of the 7 games decided by 3 points or less. I forgot 4 of the 7 games went to overtime. 

105-103
118-115
107-86
121-118
106-104
128-127
109-99

"Dirty Feathers" - tcat 2/7/17

The talent has never been higher and the popularity is obviously very high right now, but I think the game quality and entertainment factor was better 5-10 years ago in the NBA.

"...in my opinion, the most prestigious chair in all of college basketball." -Bill Self

what went wrong?

thebones wrote:

The 3-point shot is one factor.

Last night, Houston was 16 of 42, Golden State 9 of 30. In Cleveland's closeout 35-point win against Toronto, Cleveland made 12 of 26 to Toronto's 4 of 15.

Boston seems to be the exception. They do a great job, generally, of not letting the 3-point line beat them.

ousdahl wrote:

what went wrong?

Super teams, too many foul shots, no rivalries, very corporate atmosphere. While the perimeter game is fun and it does mathematically make sense especially when the players are way better than the current standards (10' rim, short 3 point line, short court), it has eliminated aspects of the offensive game that are also fun.

"...in my opinion, the most prestigious chair in all of college basketball." -Bill Self

I was gonna say the 3 point shot. It’s so feast or famine.

How often are both teams hot down the stretch in a close one?

And I would de-corporatize it before I changed the dimensions of the court, but that goes for all of Merica.

CrimsonNBlue wrote:
ousdahl wrote:

what went wrong?

While the perimeter game is fun and it does mathematically make sense especially when the players are way better than the current standards (10' rim, short 3 point line, short court), it has eliminated aspects of the offensive game that are also fun.

This.

The 3-point shot is great entertainment in, say, the NCAA Tournament.

And it adds fun to the NBA generally. But too many times, like last night, it feels like a 3-point shooting contest.

At the start of the Bulls 90's run, NBA teams attempted 7 three-pointers a game.

3-point attempts per game gradually climbed to 18 by 2012.

3-point attempts the last 6 years: 20, 22, 22, 24, 27, 29.

Back in Jordan's day, it was illegal to double an offensive player who didn't have the ball so it resulted in the best players catching the ball while guarded one on one, which allowed them to drive to rim at will. Then they got rid of hand checking in '05 and offenses went wild. Nash's Phoenix team had an insane 115 oRtg or something like that. Fun to watch but defenses have evolved and learned to scheme to cut off a lot of what they used to do so now offense has turned into a jump shooting contest and a battle of who turns over the ball the least. Golden State was sloppy with the ball and Houston got a bunch of easy buckets.

pwhittemore wrote:

The announcement'll be in a month.
It's Snyder, Casey or Stevens.
It may depend on which coach gets their team through.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2352 … tar-player

I wouldn't pick him over Giannis but would over a Bradley Beal or Kemba Walker.

pwhittemore wrote:
pwhittemore wrote:

The announcement'll be in a month.
It's Snyder, Casey or Stevens.
It may depend on which coach gets their team through.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2352 … tar-player

I wouldn't pick him over Giannis but would over a Bradley Beal or Kemba Walker.

Beal and Walker have similar stats, but Beal seems like a significantly better player, to me.

I only say this because if I'm drafting it would go Beal, Stevens, Walker in that order on my "big board".

Sit down, be humble.

*Voted Greatest Poster on kusports.net - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Having good players is more important than having a good coach at the NBA level.

Illinoisjayhawk wrote:

Having good players is more important than having a good coach at the NBA level.

I agree. Except...the Celtics.

Sit down, be humble.

I loved Stevens before any of you yahoos did, but this recent hype has been way over the top.

PhDhawk wrote:
Illinoisjayhawk wrote:

They do make you re-think the NBA a little. The two biggest examples: Jae Crowder and Victor Olidapo.

Olidapo wasn't just trash in OKC, he was in Orlando, too. Structure isn't as important in the NBA, but it's still a thing, and maybe it matters more for some players.  Crowder has been trash his entire career except for in Boston.

It certainly raises the question as to why Boston would spend money on Kyrie Irving, who has always been one of the more overrated and overpaid players in the league.

Irving is just as responsible for Lebron's 3rd ring as Lebron is.

CrimsonNBlue wrote:
PhDhawk wrote:
Illinoisjayhawk wrote:

They do make you re-think the NBA a little. The two biggest examples: Jae Crowder and Victor Olidapo.

Olidapo wasn't just trash in OKC, he was in Orlando, too. Structure isn't as important in the NBA, but it's still a thing, and maybe it matters more for some players.  Crowder has been trash his entire career except for in Boston.

It certainly raises the question as to why Boston would spend money on Kyrie Irving, who has always been one of the more overrated and overpaid players in the league.

I think they just wanted to get rid of IT

“I don’t really see Malik as a point guard,” Self said while talking to PG recruits

I'm by no means a Kyrie fanboy, but how is he overrated? If anything his biggest issue seems to be durability. (how many 26yo superstars get to the finals sitting in street clothes?)

And overpaid, sure, but relative to what?

With all that said, indeed it raises question as to why Boston would spend money on him, but that seems more than anything just a testament to the fact they're doing just fine without him. Maybe the question is, how much better would they be with him right now?

CrimsonNBlue wrote:
PhDhawk wrote:
Illinoisjayhawk wrote:

I just look at the Celtics roster, with no healthy superstars, and incredibly young players. If the same group of players were on a team with LeBron or Westbrook and got bounced out of the playoffs, the media would be crying about how that superstar can't win surrounded by those talentless players, but here they are, knocking on the door of the finals.

Brown is ahead of schedule, Tatum is ahead of schedule, no one thought Rozier would be this good when he was drafted. Marcus Morris is good, but he's spent most of his career on shitty teams, Horford is good, but not someone who leads a team to the finals. I mean, Semi Ojeleye and Abel fucking Nader are getting meaningful playoff minutes.

Sit down, be humble.

CrimsonNBlue wrote:

I loved Stevens before any of you yahoos did, but this recent hype has been way over the top.

When Stevens was hired:
hasbeen: The guy is overrated.
CnB: I've always thought so too. We'll find out soon enough.

Not affiliated with KU or KUAD
Copyright ©2013-2018 | Stats | Contact