Re: A BBQ Thread!

Good to see slaps getting some love.  It's in my top 3 I think.  Joes, AB's, and slaps.  But if I had to choose one menu item, LC's burnt ends are the best bbq food I've ever eaten.

Yeah...and I left early for the Royals game last Sunday so I could stop there. Not opened. ..

Just call me Colonel Nathan R. Jessep...because I speak the truth and you yokels can't handle the truth.

So I ate at slaps again today.  Got a half slab with the baked potato casserole and some hush puppies.  They were the best ribs I've ever had.  I haven't had anything there that wasn't outstanding.  Their meat is so good that you don't need sauce.  Also, tried a piece of the turkey and it just melted.  For me, I think it's surpassed Joes.  And Joes has been my favorite since I moved down here.

I haven't been.

I only get to KC twice a year so usually it just rotates Bryants, LC's, Joe's ( Q39, JackStack and woodyard have been in the mix ).
I'll need another confirmation from the BBQ holy grail of bofh or sensei before abandoning a KC trip BBQ meal for an ardy recco.

Suit yourself pwhitt.  You are missing out.  Like Cnb said, their ribs are competition worthy.  I've yet to have the brisket, but I've been told it is one of the best around. 

Slaps is pretty good. 
The pork belly app at Q39 is outstanding.

o.jpg

Defense. Rebounds.

SLAP is excellent and I'd go there any day of the week over Okie Joe's.  But, since they've extended hours, it makes quality control tougher.  The stuff they make on the circuit is top notch.

"...in my opinion, the most prestigious chair in all of college basketball." -Bill Self

pwhittemore wrote:

BBQ holy grail of bofh or sensei

lmao

"...in my opinion, the most prestigious chair in all of college basketball." -Bill Self

99 and super corona of old are the bbq gods. Anyone else are Q deities of  lower order...

Just call me Colonel Nathan R. Jessep...because I speak the truth and you yokels can't handle the truth.

CrimsonNBlue wrote:

SLAP is excellent and I'd go there any day of the week over Okie Joe's.  But, since they've extended hours, it makes quality control tougher.  The stuff they make on the circuit is top notch.

I've only been there an hour after opening at the most.  They used to make a certain amount of food and close when they ran out.  I just assumed they still did that.

so, what's with reservations at q39?

necessary for saturday afternoon?

"Scientific literacy is an intellectual vaccine against the claims of charlatans who would exploit ignorance"

q39 is good.
They did something with their beans that crushed it.
Their bbq meats, just solid.

I'd rather chance a great batch at Bryant's or Joe's but I only visit twice a year.

when you say crushed it, is that complimentary slang, or were the beans literally crushed?

ousdahl wrote:

when you say crushed it, is that complimentary slang, or were the beans literally crushed?

It's an inside joke.

Sit down, be humble.

*Voted Greatest Poster on kusports.net - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

No inside jokes allowed.
So I guess that means they were literally crushed.
Unless, because that's sarcastic and not true, that means it is an inside joke, and then, no, they were normal beans in terms of how a bean is formed and then cooked, and were cooked well, so they *crushed it.

* http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p … ushed%20it

You totally crushed it on that post, bro.

Last edited by ousdahl (Nov 05 2016 12:24 am)

“The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek."
—Joseph Campbell

Shirley wrote:

At least they didn't give it the Bert's treatment.

In Lee's Summit, on the northwest corner of 2nd Street and Hwy 291, there's a food truck called Three Pigs BBQ.  Excellent ribs.

Dickey's BBQ for lunch today. Better than I thought it would be.

Had the special. A Westerner sammich with pulled pork, smoked sausage and cheddar. I pulled a Gutter and asked them to leave off the cheese (has no place on a barbecue sammich). Sides were spud salad (premade box kind ok) and cole slaw (same as the spud salad) and a monster sized unsweet tea. 8.99 + tax.

Sausage was really good, pulled pork was tender but not a  lot of smoke flavor. Sauce was generic.

Defense. Rebounds.

gutter7.png

jhawks99 wrote:

Had the special. A Westerner sammich with pulled pork, smoked sausage and cheddar. I pulled a Gutter and asked them to leave off the cheese (has no place on a barbecue sammich). Sides were spud salad (premade box kind ok) and cole slaw (same as the spud salad) and a monster sized unsweet tea. 8.99 + tax.

Sausage was really good, pulled pork was tender but not a  lot of smoke flavor. Sauce was generic.

Dickey's started in Plano. You can't throw a dead snake around here without it landing in a Dickey's parking lot.
Pretty good BBQ though.

"Every fuckin beatin I’m grateful for. Every last one of em. You get all the trust beat outta ya, and ya know what the world is."
Al Swearengen

jhawkinplano wrote:
jhawks99 wrote:

Dickey's started in Plano. You can't throw a dead snake around here without it landing in a Dickey's parking lot.
Pretty good BBQ though.

Sounds like you're surrounded by Dickey's. I hope you don't drown in Dickey's or get a Dickey's in your ear.

Was the pulled pork served in a bowl? I just wondered if 99 ate a bowl of Dickey's.

Sit down, be humble.

*Voted Greatest Poster on kusports.net - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Dickey's is preferable to Famous Dave's. That's literally the only "good" thing you could say about it.

I recently had LC''s for the first time and the burnt ends were delicious.  But slaps and Joes are still king.  So many people don't seem to know about slaps.

Not affiliated with KU or KUAD
Copyright ©2013-2018 | Stats | Contact